Black Cherry Burl project

I finally got a round to it. Cleaned the burl now to figure out how to pull the burl's. There is a lot of solid wood which I'm very surprised. Any idea would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190218_123405.jpg
    20190218_123405.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190218_123419.jpg
    20190218_123419.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20190218_123424.jpg
    20190218_123424.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190218_123431.jpg
    20190218_123431.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190218_123437.jpg
    20190218_123437.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 47
You might be able to chainsaw it off, but I'd think about taking it to someone with a bandsaw mill. They can secure it solidly to the bed and saw it to whatever thickness you'd want.

Once you get it off the trunk, you can resaw it into veneer, or...?

Nevah done anything like that.

No experience whatsoever

Absolutely don't know what I am talking about.

BUT

My first thoughts are to remove what is not supposed to be there.

Once you get down to the burl you need to decide what you want. For me it would be slabs. For a turner - maybe something different.

Definitely interested in what the correct answer is.

Selective sawing with a chainsaw. First decide what it is you want from the burls and then make decisions on how best to cut them to get the most out of them. Ted C. is also another good source to tell you, I am just filling in here.

I was thinking of slicing one of the burls off 1st to see what I have the decided if I want to keep any of the core wood with the burl. All the burl I had from the Spalted maple tree were Large burls that went deep into the core. Plus they were all cut by the tree company so I didn't have a say into the cutting.

My 2cents would be to saw off the excess wood from top and bottom to make it more manageable and then slice it in half, or thirds depending on where the burls are located, top to bottom to see what the core looked like. You now have a few manageable pieces and an excuse to buy a bigger bandsaw:D. Burls are like a box of chocolate...you never know what your are going to find. Not all of them are beautiful. Knowing the quality of the core and what purpose you want the wood for, you can proceed to slice it to suit your purpose.

If you treat it like a normal log and quarter saw it, the result will be a cross section through the burl with curl figure radiating to the outer edge of the piece.
DSC_5263.jpgDSC_5270.jpg

If you flat/flitch saw it the results will range from the curl shown above to pieces with more "eye" type figure as you get toward the outside edge of the log.

DSC_5243.jpgTURNIGN-2105_013-c.jpg

Last edited:
Ted and Jonathan pretty much covered it. Burls are nature's box of chocolates...you never quite know what you're gonna get. It looks like the middle of the log part is either hollow or rotten/punky. I'd probably start by cutting off the parts I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use, look at what's left over, and then ad-lib the rest of the way. Something like this...

Dave's Burl Annotated.jpg

My 2cents would be to saw off the excess wood from top and bottom to make it more manageable and then slice it in half, or thirds depending on where the burls are located, top to bottom to see what the core looked like. You now have a few manageable pieces and an excuse to buy a bigger bandsaw:D. Burls are like a box of chocolate...you never know what your are going to find. Not all of them are beautiful. Knowing the quality of the core and what purpose you want the wood for, you can proceed to slice it to suit your purpose.

If you treat it like a normal log and quarter saw it, the result will be a cross section through the burl with curl figure radiating to the outer edge of the piece.
View attachment 105873View attachment 105874

If you flat/flitch saw it the results will range from the curl shown above to pieces with more "eye" type figure as you get toward the outside edge of the log.

View attachment 105875View attachment 105876

Your Funny Ted, bigger band saw is all I need for play. I'm the only one that uses the one I have now. There is not much call for a band saw in a refinishing shop.
Thanks for the guidance. I'd probably have screwed this up if I had my chain saw here at the shop .

Ted and Jonathan pretty much covered it. Burls are nature's box of chocolates...you never quite know what you're gonna get. It looks like the middle of the log part is either hollow or rotten/punky. I'd probably start by cutting off the parts I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use, look at what's left over, and then ad-lib the rest of the way. Something like this...

View attachment 105877

Vaughn I removed as mush punky wood as I could , The bottom has a rotten center to half of the base. The other half is solid.
Thanks

Being one who primarily turns bowls, I see some bowl in the trunk on one side. Not so sure about the other. This is gonna be a interesting project. But, yeah. Definitely get rid of the rotten and punky stuff. Depending on how far down the hollow part goes, makes or breaks a lot of ideas one could come up with. This is gonna be FUN!!!