Building a new shop with attached house - Done.

Yup real idiots. I have been waiting for the house to get to this stage so that I could put in the Cat-5 wiring to all of the rooms. The electrician wanted $100 a point to install em. This week end would have been perfect time to do it. Hopefully I'll be able to get it done next week end.

Real bummer on the wiring Don. Thats a shame

Sorry I haven't kept up here on your new shop with house.

Things are looking great. I like the layout, design.:thumb:

For those who are following this thread. I stoppped by today to check and the electrician is redoing the wire that was stolen. There's drywall stacked in all the rooms and the garage so I guess they'll be starting that as soon as the sparkey gets dione doing his thing. Oh and I was so upset last Thr when I foubnd out aboutr the wiring I forgot to post some pics. This is the front of the house waiting stucco.

122706 House front 1.jpg122706 House front 2.jpg

Looking real good Don. Things are zipping along real fast which is always a good feeling.

I know how you feel about getting stuff stolen. In the 17 years I have been building homes, I've been ripped off twice and a third time this past year building my son's home. (he actually got ripped off not I)

Love the looks of the building you are doing and the price per square foot is a great deal, around this area we are around 100.00/sq. ft. That includes a basement however.

Keep the pics coming.:thumb:

Progress report.

The drywall is in taped and mudded. The outside stucco has been applied but no color coat yet. Here's a shot of the outside of the house 10607 House front.jpg and heres a shot of the 3 car garage my tools will be sharing with LOML's Suburban Garage.jpg. Here a shot taken from the patio door looking in towards the kitchen across the great room. 10607 Kitchen.jpgThe Kitchen is 18 wide by 16 deep and will have an Island counter with the sink. The great room is 25 wide by 18 deep. That means the back waal of the kitchen is 34 feet away from where I'm standing to give you a perspective. The archway on the right leads to a hall way . On the left side of the hallway are two guest rooms and a bathroom and stright ahead through the hallway it leads to ther dinning room and living room. I guess they'll texture the wall next and then trim out the rooms.

Last edited:
Looking great Don :thumb:

About your wiring mishap, I just read an article in our bi-monthly magazine we get from our local utlity coop .

They described the numerous copper thefts that has doubled in the last year.
I guess a few have been brave enough to actually break in to a sub station, and cut out the large copper wiring. A few have gotten the big buzz:eek: and killed them in the process:thumb:

Don,

The picture looks like your garage/shop will have drive thru doors, am I seeing right?

YUP, Since I put the third bay on, the lot is to narrow to accomidate a double gate (80ft. lot, 70 ft. house) so I had em put roll up doors on both ends of the garage..:D
All of my WW equiptment is mobile so I'f I need to get in the back yard I'll just roll em out of the way and drive in.

Well Don, (& others), just so you won't think you are alone and that the _____, (add your own adjectives) thieves are just picking on you, here's our story. In the last 4 or 5 months, we have lost a 10 ton and a 5 ton compressor/condenser unit (10 ton unit on the roof) from my wife's vacant commercial building here. As if that weren't bad enough, during the same time period, my youngest daughter (North of Dallas) moved in with my oldest daughter since they are rebuilding and widening the loop road and Bridge in front of her house and access is terrible to Nil, especially when it rains, and construction is expected to last a year. She figured it would be a good time to remodel, buuuuuuuut..........the ___ thieves in that area found it. They have hit it three times now, first dismanteling the HVAC compressor unit and stealing the copper coil & associated wiring. They then went back again, broke in and cut every copper pipe and wire they could get to, and then broke in again and stole one of the hot water heaters. I have NO idea how much the electrical replacement and plumbing will cost to rewire and replumb.

As long as the metals prices are this high, I expect these thefts to continue, as the police don't seem to have a clue as to how to catch the thieves or stop the thefts. Since this seems to be a National problem, one thing that would help would be to have the police monitor the salvage yards more closely, (similar to the way they do the "Hock Shops" for stolen goods), and require salvage yards, (by law) to keep records of anyone that brings in Copper or aluminum (other than cans) and exactly what the metal was, ie: electrical wire, copper/aluminum coils, copper pipe, if they are not a licensed HVAC person, electrician, or plumber. With a regular scan by the police of that information, they could soon see if a person or persons were showing up a little too regular with this type of material and check them out. As it stands now, they just throw up their hands and say we don't have a clue as to where to start looking for these thieves.

It is very frustrating I can assure you, when it appears that the only action we can take is to fork over money to replace the missing items and repair the damage done by these "Lower than Life Individuals", especially if it is on property that is not insured, or in some cases when the insurance finds a loophole and did not pay.:(

OK, so much for the Soapbox stuff, and Don, your new Mansion is looking GOOOOOOOOD.:thumb:

Don, I'll bet that drive-through garage is going to be real handy.

Great way to get some nice cross ventilation on the days it's not too hot. Both of them. :rofl:

Seriously, it's looking real nice. :thumb:

Don, I hadn't seen this thread since you first started it. It's coming along really good, even with the set backs. Your $$/sq.ft. seems very good for the Phoenix area. I felt I got a good deal at about $95/sq.ft. when we did our house last year, especially with the average being about $120/sq.ft.

Any idea when you'll be able to move in?

Karl

Any idea when you'll be able to move in?

Karl

Well some say completeion should be 60 days from when they hang the drywall so that would put it the end of Feb, early March.

Vauhn,
The drive through garage not only allows for cross venteltion but I can also leave the door on the street closed to keep prying eys out of my shop and leave the back door open on nice days. On very hot days both doors will be closed. I had them insulate the garage the same as the house R-40. I'll put an AC unit in the garage.

It's been a few weeks since my last up date but here where were at.

112007 House Froont.jpg

The outside painting is done. The roofers are almost done as you can see from the picture. The inside is trimed out and painted, The electrician has started finish out the fixture, recepticles and switches. the doors are installed including all 3 garage doors along with the openers. The cabinates were delievered and waiting for install. Today while I was there the flooring guys were there to put down the moisture barrier and say that on monday they'll put in the flooring, the entire house except for the bedroom will have pergo. The bedrooms will be carpeted, so the pergo is what will go in on monday. The forms are in for the driveway and side walk. So were getting there. Looks like were going along nicely to be done by the end of feb.

Old Builder

Looks good. Woulld like to see a sketch of the floor plam. Most all of the houses that I have built here in MO. we had to do at least some blasting and then hoped we were not seetting on top of a cave.

Looks good. Would like to see a sketch of the floor plan. Most all of the houses that I have built here in MO. we had to do at least some blasting and then hoped we were not sitting on top of a cave.

Here ya go john, ours is a reversal of the first plan. So I flipped it to put things in perspective.

c2700f1.jpgc2700R.jpg

I had em extend the front of the garage by 2 feet to so that we can fit LOML suburban in. I also had em ad the third garage bay and made the patio go almost the whole width of the house. We opted for the 3rd bath to be a 1/2 bath, the one behind bedroom 4.

Stu, yes I am working on the shop layout I'll post it when I get ready to start modifying the garage..:D