Building my Dream

Oh, forgot to say, Very well done job on the videos. Thorough job, well done camera work.

So often a lot of these videos it seems like the demonstrator just rambles on and on. Your's were to the point and showed the features and use of the machine in a logical and thoughtful way. :thumb:

Great video, Rick. :thumb: I'd love to be able to make my own lumber like that. You're a fortunate guy to have access to all that lumber on the hoof, and the room to do something with it. :clap:

Rick that is very neat, and that must have been a lot of work, moving the camera around etc, very well done! You could really save yourself some time if you have a remote for your camera! :D

Now some questions on your mill:

When engaging the motor to turn the blade is looks like the motor just slides over and the belt tightens up, sort of like an old time line shaft set up, do you think the belt will wear out quickly doing this? I would think that even if the belt does wear a bit faster, belts have to be a whole lot cheaper than some kind of clutch set up.

The log clamps, I guess setting one high and then cutting into it would cause a few bad words to be said, so I wonder if there is not some kind of a bumper or such thing on the saw that would be at the level or slightly below the level of the band, so that if too deep a cut was taken, or a log clamp was set too high, the bumper would hit it before the blade made contact....? Does the mill have this kind of thing?

I saw you fill the blade lube with water and dish soap, how is the lube applied to the blade, is it pump fed or just a gravity drip?

How do you find pushing the saw, it looks like the blade slices through with ease (nice to have sharp blades!) but how much "work" is this?

I can't see in the video, but it looks like you have the mill set up in a covered area, is this your "Mill Spot", and if so, are you going to build a ramp on the side to help loading? I mean those little logs are fine, but if you get some larger ones, that looks like a lot of work!

BTW, I love your Medieval looking Cant hook, that is great! :thumb:

Cheers!

See responses below:

Rick that is very neat, and that must have been a lot of work, moving the camera around etc, very well done! You could really save yourself some time if you have a remote for your camera! :D

Now some questions on your mill:

When engaging the motor to turn the blade is looks like the motor just slides over and the belt tightens up, sort of like an old time line shaft set up, do you think the belt will wear out quickly doing this? I would think that even if the belt does wear a bit faster, belts have to be a whole lot cheaper than some kind of clutch set up.

You are correct - it slides over and tightens the belt. I don't think the belt will wear out quickly, but I guess it is the cheaper way to do it. One thing I like about this brand sawmill is that the KISS approach was used in the design. Not a lot of fancy gadgets.

The log clamps, I guess setting one high and then cutting into it would cause a few bad words to be said, so I wonder if there is not some kind of a bumper or such thing on the saw that would be at the level or slightly below the level of the band, so that if too deep a cut was taken, or a log clamp was set too high, the bumper would hit it before the blade made contact....? Does the mill have this kind of thing?

In my research before purchase, that was one of the most noted issues with sawmills. (at least the lower end models that I could afford). This sawmill has a piece of channel that hangs in front of the blade and hits anything in the way before the blade gets there. I can slide it up out of the way using an attached cable that runs over a pulley to the push handle (KISS). Near the end of the second video when I am cutting boards, you can see the point of the black channel sticking out ahead of the blade next to the blue cover. The clamps are designed to sit low enough for the blade to pass over (just barely) for the last 1 inch cut. This device has saved many blade-clamp encounters:eek: I should have shown this in the video, but I forgot :doh:

I saw you fill the blade lube with water and dish soap, how is the lube applied to the blade, is it pump fed or just a gravity drip?

Gravity drip (KISS). There is a small valve in-line with the tubing to set the drip rate.

How do you find pushing the saw, it looks like the blade slices through with ease (nice to have sharp blades!) but how much "work" is this?

The saw is pretty easy to push. My wife does the cutting while I offload the lumber some times. Sharp blades are easier than dull blades, but the 4 wheels riding on a solid bar stock track make it a simple chore. The most work is wrestling the log to the mill, and getting it loaded and clamped. Turning is not too bad with the cant hook (waaaay better than without - DAMHIKT). Off loading 4/4 stock is ok, but 8/4 and up will wear you out quick. I am cutting all my logs 9 feet long (to fit in my kiln), and a 8/4 oak board takes some effort to move and stack.

I can't see in the video, but it looks like you have the mill set up in a covered area, is this your "Mill Spot", and if so, are you going to build a ramp on the side to help loading? I mean those little logs are fine, but if you get some larger ones, that looks like a lot of work!

I prefer the term "lean" logs. They may not be big boys, but the lumber is good :rofl:
Seriously, I set the mill up in this spot where it was semi level and easily accessible from the driveway. It seems to be working out, and I have added a drying shed next store, so it may stay here. I will build a permanent shed with a lockable room to enclose the sawmill - and with a cover over the bed rails to keep off the rain and sun. Also plan to have some ramps to roll the logs on, and some timbers for the logs to sit while waiting to roll up the ramp. Most of my logs are lean, but I have wrestled a couple of big ones, and ramps would make a big difference. It is on the project list, but not high up at the moment.

SawmillArea.jpg

BTW, I love your Medieval looking Cant hook, that is great! :thumb:

Thanks - Yeah, I thought it came out pretty good for a cheapo version. It is probably heavier than a store bought one, but it gets the job done.

Cheers!

Shop Update, Tool Gloat, Wood Gloat !

Shop items made it to the top of the priority list, so I have been working on setting up my cyclone dust collector. Running pipe and electrical took a while.

Here is the ClearVue Cyclone installed. I mounted it on a free standing frame it isolate the vibration from the walls.
I imagine a metal skin pole building might make quite a racket if mounted directly ;).
Cycloneweb.jpg

I have added a McRabbet kit to detect a full bin - which will sound an alarm and can turn off the cyclone before dumping all the sawdust into my filters.
Sensorsweb.jpg

The cyclone is in a "noise room" (yet to be finished) in the NorthEast corner, and ductwork runs down the center of the shop and then splits to the West and East walls.
CenterOverheadweb.jpg

East Wall has Lathe, Chop Saw, and Floor Sweep
(I went all-out on the hood for the Chop Saw :rofl:)
EastWallweb.jpg

West Wall has Table Saw and Jointer/Planer combo.
I went ahead and purchased the SawStop overhead dust collector tubing.
It is pricey, but I just did not have time to cobble something together.
WestWallweb.jpg

Tool Gloat :D Jet JJP-12hh
JetJPweb.jpg

We were also able to organize the shop a bit. Cleared the floor, and moved work tables to the center.
Still a mess, but at least I can walk around and see where things are - a lot better than before.
WorkTablesweb.jpg

LOML created this solution to organizing (about 1/2) my bowl blank collection. (Wood Gloat) Man, it can take some time and effort to saw up lots of tree stumps.
BlankStorageweb.jpg

Once the bookcase shelves are full, we will use the the wire "metro carts". I was able to pick up another 6 units as scrap from work.
Also picked up eight 5" castors that should be used to build some portable lumber racks.
Gotta have a place to store the finished lumber from the Jointer/Planer :thumb:

Some real woodworking projects may be in the near future. Outfeed table, jigs, cabinets, spinny stuff...who knows:huh:

Man, I would just about kill to have that kind of shop space, Rick. Looking better and better. :thumb: Congrats on the new Plointer. :D

That shop looks like Amazon's warehouse. I am so jealous.

Nice to see it all come together.

Congrats on the new tools. Would love to read your reviews.

Last edited: