Building my Dream

A quick update.

It has been hot - really hot for a while. Unable to do much in the shop. Gonna have to look into some cooling/heating option for the shop. One of the down sides to a big area is the cost of air conditioning.:(

We decided to re-do some of the tree planting, so we ended up getting some dozer work done, and now have 4-5 acres of cleared fields to prep for longleaf pine planting. Found a big canebrake rattle snake on the new field last weekend - pics to follow later, I hope. Also have 2 yellow jacket nests to handle.

Got a lot of logs to mill into lumber, but they will have to wait until planting is done.

Shop projects will also be delayed.

So, may be a while before woodworking gets going, but I have lots to keep me busy for the next week, month, year, lifetime...?

That's a good thing.:thumb:

Large fans. I know it is a bad word but it is their name, Bad Ass Fans, extremely large ceiling fans for situations such as yours.

The snake, I would shoot and eat. The yellow jackets/ground hornets, a little gas and a match (if it isn't dry!!!).

Yep, want a lifetime job, buy a farm!!!! Being busy is a good thing Rick.

Here is a photo with the snake. Skinned it, but wife was not interested in a BBQ.

RattlerVsBlackWidowWeb.jpg

Measured 49" without the head. Hope to mount it on felt for a wall hanging.

I have some fans in the shop, but when the temp is 100+, I am not sure even the BA fans would help much...

I forget what the measured feel is from a fan but a 1 mph wind is supposed to make the body feel 7-9 degrees cooler. I don't know why I remember that or where it came from, but have been working on fans for the calves through the summer.
NAA gun? I have a few 410 derringers that are excellent snake guns! That was some meat there on that dead carcass!!
I stand corrected, thanks Jay for the correct name. They have a very informative website.
Did you keep the head so it can be boiled with the mouth in the open position and dried?

I skinned one of the last rattlers I got out here. Unfortunately the .410 birdshot kind cut it in two so I didn't get much of a skin. Then the rats in the garage got real interested in eating it...

I do keep the rattles and a record of when they showed up.

Been a quiet year here. Have not even seen one snake all year.

NAA gun? I have a few 410 derringers that are excellent snake guns! That was some meat there on that dead carcass!!
I stand corrected, thanks Jay for the correct name. They have a very informative website.
Did you keep the head so it can be boiled with the mouth in the open position and dried?

Yes - NAA Black Widow. I will check into the 410 derringer, but I like the BW because it is very light and easy to carry in my pocket - and I can still aim fairly well. No more noticeable than a pocket knife. Other types I have tried to carry just get in the way or are troublesome when chainsawing, or other hot, dirty activities.

Did not keep the head - it was mangled from the head shot, but I never heard of boiling and drying the head. Not sure I want to be handling the head with fangs any more than necessary...

This is only the 3rd snake I have seen in 2 years. The first venomous. I know they are out there, but we don't cross paths often. I was sorry to have to kill this one, but I can't afford any surprises from the dangerous ones. The others I leave alone, or catch and release if they are particularly interesting.

I know what you mean Rick. I leave the other non-venomous snakes alone even up close to the house. With all the rodents we have, well, I just want them to do their job.

The rattlers and I have an agreement. I won't go out of my way to get them as long as they stay away from the house and the pets. I appreciate their part of the ecosystem, but I do not want any surprises up next to the house where the dogs can get into them.

Rick nice color snake how about a belt from that skin.

As to the shop what about the twirly roof mounted extractor fan.
I dont know the name of them but they kinda roundish ball shaped with cuts and the metal bent to make several mini blades.
Turn on their own and serve to draw heat out. That would create a draw from below given the height of you ceilings.
Man you really living the dream. Hard work aint killed no one beats city life any day. I swop you any day for my NN.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Did I say I didn't see a snake yet this year? Just saw one on the back patio. Logan was nosing up some kind of owl pellet that was laying there and I saw a little 10" orange and black banded snake 6 inches from the little morons head. He didn't even notice it.

By the time I got the dogs back in and was ready to shoot it (With my camera!) it was gone! I think it was a "Banded Variable Groundsnake"

Really would have liked to have gotten a picture though.

Did I say I didn't see a snake yet this year? Just saw one on the back patio. Logan was nosing up some kind of owl pellet that was laying there and I saw a little 10" orange and black banded snake 6 inches from the little morons head. He didn't even notice it.

By the time I got the dogs back in and was ready to shoot it (With my camera!) it was gone! I think it was a "Banded Variable Groundsnake"

Really would have liked to have gotten a picture though.

Oh man...a photo would have been cool :doh:

From the link, I can see why they call it "variable". Sometimes bands, sometimes stripes. Great coloring with the orange. I don't think we have those here.

Hard work aint killed no one beats city life any day.

100% agree Ron. The longer I am here, the better I like it. Even with the 100+ degree summer days, gettin' dirty everyday, exhausted every weekend. :thumb: (kinda sounds like my early childhood :D)

The icing on the cake is the LOML is enjoying it (and working) even more than me. Having a partner to share the dream is really special. Gotta love that tomboy streak.

100% agree Ron. The longer I am here, the better I like it. Even with the 100+ degree summer days, gettin' dirty everyday, exhausted every weekend. :thumb: (kinda sounds like my early childhood :D)

The icing on the cake is the LOML is enjoying it (and working) even more than me. Having a partner to share the dream is really special. Gotta love that tomboy streak.

That, in my opinion, is just awesome... :thumb: :thumb:

Making progress

Wow - has it been 3 months already?

We have been busy.
I worked on my first hand plane project - a table top. Probably not the best first project, but I learned a lot about the difficulties in planing wood with grain that runs everywhere (with knots). Also - if in doubt - sharpen, sharpen, sharpen.
Wholeweb.jpg
I started a birdhouse woodworking project, (pictures later) but the finishing room got bumped up in priority, so I have been working on that lately. We also planted 600 pine trees, and I had a visit from a niece that wanted to learn wood turning.

The trees:
600Trees.jpg
600 trees planted over two days. We have 400 more coming this weekend, and that will finish out this years planting. We cleared ~4 acres, but only cleaned up about half so far. Next season we should complete the pine planting.

The finishing room (spare bedroom temporarily)16x16
The corner full of stuff
Corner.jpg

Walls started
walls.jpg

Starting the joists
ceilingJoistsweb.jpg

Flooring on top
LoadingSheets.jpg
Boy, the sheet rock lift comes in handy.

Storage on top with wiring and insulation complete
(also a pocket door in the rear for under stairs closet.)
storage.jpg

Main double doors and lighting complete inside
LightsDoor.jpg
We have started painting the interior, and I have to finish the bottom of the walls, and around the doors.
I got to purchase a couple of air nailers (Bostich finish and Hitachi framing) for the job. They make a HUGE time saving difference.

My niece came to help plant trees, and wanted to learn how to turn, so I took some time to show her some basics.
LearningToTurnWeb.jpg...LearningToTurn2web.jpg

She turned a mushroom - which she decided was a lamp ;), and also a Christmas tree. She is expecting more lessons on her next visit...:thumb:

I was able to attend an Alan Lacer class, and purchased his signature skew. Looking forward to using it for some Christmas gift turning - this year if I have time...