Building my Dream

Yeah Rick whats up with the Pine and how did they make it so high on the priority list?
Really great to see your progress. Good to see you doing some flatwork. Strikes me that you need a real woodworking workbench preferably with benchdog holes. Would make holding and planing a board like that a whole lot easier than having the clamps in the way. You need freedom to roam on a board like that and i could see the clamps being restrictive.
Suggestion turn clamps over, use them to clamp another strip of wood adjacent to each side and make four wedges and put two in opposing directions on two of the sides wedging the large board to be planed between the strips. This will take away the need to clamp and have clamps on and edge will give you greater freedom to plane :).
Looks like you have the makings of a great get away above that room.;)
Your niece has got a great incentive to be back helping out all good stuff. :)

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

The pine (LOML project) has always been top of the list. Need to get them started now - since it will take 7-8 years before we see any revenue possibility. With just the two of us, it takes a while to prep the areas for planting, so we plant in batches. One more this season, and then we hope to finish up the clearing and planting next fall.

A workbench is for sure on the list, just not made it to the upper levels ...
Good suggestion on the clamps and wedges. The clamps did get in the way, but I managed to get it done and returned to the owner. He was happy, and I was happy to be done with it.:D

Progress, and a woodworking project too!

Finished the inside of the new finishing room/bedroom
FR010.jpg
Cleaned up and found the ping pong table
FinishRoomFinal.jpg

Found time to work on some Extreme Birdhouse Christmas gifts.
Built one with red oak, and another with white cedar.
EBhouse006.jpg EBhouse023.jpg EBhouse021.jpg
EBhouse015.jpg EBhouse001.jpg

Had a visitor from Mexico with us for a few days. (stayed in the new room) She tried out most of the tools in the shop. She wanted to try turning, so after some basic skills practice, she turned a pen.
TurningWeb.jpg pen.jpg

It has been a busy few weeks!

Wishing everyone a great holiday season - whatever you may celebrate.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.:wave:

Rick, you're the only person I can think of who has potted plants in his shop. Well, that and the loft library. :D

Like Glenn, I sure enjoy seeing your progress on the whole project. :thumb:

glad its still coming along well for you and yours ..at first i thought she may have kicked you out and yu had to stay in the shop but now i see it was just the quest that stayed in there:) happy holidays right back at yu:)

Quick update - I now have stairs to get to the second level storage!:thumb:

StairsFront.jpgStairsSide.jpg

First attempt at stair stringers. Not too difficult, but the center stringer bowed up a bit and made it harder that it could have been.

Been a while - quick update

Hi all
I have been away for a while, and will probably be rare for a while longer, but here is a quick update.

Got a new bandsaw, started beekeeping, built a few woodworking projects, still have wildlife on the farm, and had to build some storage racks for the sawmill lumber.

bandsawload.jpgbandsaw.jpgSwarmAppleDrop.jpgRobinbox.jpgcuttingboard.jpgGunBox.jpgFawns10.jpgbuckpush.jpgBobCat2.jpgWoodRacks.jpg

The cutting board is hickory and cherry (unfinished), the bandsaw box is red cedar, and the gun box is Mahogany and plywood.

Last edited:
Been a looong while, Rick! Good to see you back!

Looks like you've been keeping very busy. Glad to hear you're doing well.

BTW, that's a huge bobcat! Love that bandsaw box, too.

i think you need help controlling all the extra wildlife rick:) and i agree that is a big cat.. that buck picture is a nice one as well.. trail cams or hand held by you on the photos? glad yu dropped back to visit and look forward to the next time you get free.

I'm just in awe with how you managed to get eberything done, and on your own too. Truly impressive. All the amount of work and effort put into building the perfect tool and storage shed - although I don't suppose it can be called a shed now with the new stairs in!