Cabinetmaker Sector class at Lost Arts Press

This past weekend I attended the Cabinetmaker Sector class at LAP and it was an outstanding class. Class was taught by Brendan Gaffney, who had originally built these for sale. Chris Schwarz attended the first day as shop assistant, he was also work on some ATC commissions. Megan Fitzpatrick attended both days filling the roll as shop helper and working on some book editing.

Along with building the Sector, out of Qtr Sawn Hard Maple, we also built a Pied Du Roi, French ruler for practice inking and stamping. The wood used for these was some leftover Qtr Sawn French Sycamore Brendan had from previous ruler builds.

If you ever get the chance to attend a class at LAP, please do so. The environment is outstanding to work and learn in. The city of Covington is a fine place as well.

IMG_20180422_071638.jpg

Screenshot_20180422-192629.jpg

IMG_20180423_102254.jpg

IMG_20180423_145644.jpg

Nicely done, I've thought about building a sector before but I need to work through the actually using it exercises a few more times to really "get" it :)

The lettering on the rule looks quite nice.

Larry, hate to do this, but the link Darren shared explains it better than I can. Scroll to bottom for video.

I noticed that he's got a free template on his store for printing your own paper sector. It's listed at $0.00, just go through the checkout. He's currently out of stock of the wooden versions, but look to be very well made.

Well, hope he does decide to make more, but understand if not. Decided to try drawing one up from the template he posted. I may 3d print this, but won't be able to print one as big as the wooden one shown in the video. A co-worker's wife is a math teacher and he asked if I'd be able to make them one as she found it pretty fascinating.
Sector.jpg