Calgary Stampede ....

Rob Keeble

Just wondering if anybody else on the forum follows the action at the Stampede each year or am i the lone wanna be cowboy.

I can tell you attending the event itself is most definitely on my bucket list.

Oh man I was born in the wrong wrong place.

Still trying to decide if its courage or stupidity that it takes to get on a bull or bronco and let it have its way. lol As much as i admire the guys i don't think i would be a rodeo rider had the opportunity presented itself to me when i was a young un.

Love the way the ladies connect with their horses in the barrel races they amazing and nothing beats a woman dressed in western gear and a decent hat and boots. :)

Someday for sure.

Working out the scoring is a challenge. All comes down to judges, thats when i get put off.

Prefer the timed events where rules and time come into play rather than a judges observations and opinion.

Back when I was a kid and we had horses, I was pretty immersed in the rodeo culture. My dad was in the Sheriff's Posse (and my sisters and I were in the Junior Sheriff's Posse), so we went to a fair number of local rodeos to ride in the Grand Entries. I wanted to be a calf roper. We ended up moving to the city and selling the horses years before I was old enough to get serious about it, though.

I actually rode some bulls when I was younger, was pretty much stupidity on my part. Watched one of my best friends get his inner thigh stomped on by a bull, was enough to make me hang up my spurs. :)

I used to go to the American Royal Rodeo here every year, will have to plan on taking the grandson this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Had a girlfriend in College who's dad owned a ranch that raised rodeo stock. I've been bucked off horses and helped round up bulls. Those bulls were mean, no way I would ever get on the back of one, lol.

But was fun to get up close and personal with animals like that. Really gives you an appreciation for the power they have.

I've ridden a couple of bulls in my younger days. Audrey my youngest granddaughter (3) pestered her mom and dad this past weekend at a family fun event at the park to let her ride the mechanical bull. It is on my daughter's facebook, it is priceless! Bull riding school was an amazing experience.

When I was a kid living in North Dakota (military brat). We when to the Stampede twice and it is great fun. You've got the top of the Rodeo people and it was a thrill a minute. Being that I now live I would guess about 2600 mile away, I guess it will be a long time before I get back.

Never done the Stampede, though have watched it on TV a few times... We (Wife and I) went to the Houston Live Stock Rodeo once and as a kid, my home town held a rodeo every year... we had some pretty good riders and one of the local boys was a professional rodeo clown for a number of years and worked some of the bigger events around the country, 'till he rolled a bulldozer over on himself and got broke up a little, so had to give up rodeo clowning. A lot of the locals would sit inside the fence during the bull riding..when the bull tossed his rider they would all climb the fence when he passed... a bull got loose at one of the events and tossed an older man over the fence and killed him... that ended the fence sitters/climbers.

Only time I ever sat a bucking horse (Never a bull) my first wife and I were at a riding stable and the horse the stable put me on wasn't into working that day... just as we reached the gate, he decided to do a few jumps... I hung on, but about the third jump 4 or 5 stable hands were grabbing the bridle and trying to calm him down and one of them pulled me off...