California, Karen Fire and Meatloaf

glenn bradley

We were preparing meatloaf to go in the oven and heard a very large vehicle go up one of the roads around here. There's no reason for vehicles that large to be in our area normally. Shortly thereafter we heard sirens and airdrop planes overhead. A wildland fire is burning about 1500 feet from my front door. Vaughn can relate to this. Small by California standards at about 40 acres in an hour. No effort to contain (create a barrier) as yet as these hills can use the burn. Some horses evacuated. More info here: http://www.rvcfire.org/_Layouts/Incident Information/IncidentInfoDetail.aspx?4555

Pictures from the rear of the property and from the front porch.
IMG_1565.JPG . IMG_1555.JPG . IMG_1561.JPG . IMG_1560.JPG . IMG_1559.JPG

The water tanks for my little neighborhood are between the fire and us. They are dumping retartdent like crazy to keep it away from the tanks. Unplanned benefit of my location.

It moved on north of us which is all open area. It appears they’re just going to contain it and let it burn itself out.
<div> Final Update for the evening 7/25/2020 8:00 p.m. The fire is 250 acres and is now 50% contained. Forward spread stopped. Resources will remain on scene overnight as they work to improve containment lines. <div>

Glad you all are safe, I saw some air drop planes flying around yesterday was not sure where they were going now I know.
I'm over here by the Veterans Cemetery.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ooof, It's that time of year I keep my head on a swivel around here. We had a series of monsoon type storms come over us last week. Usually they bring thunder and lightning. Sometimes they bring rain. When they bring rain, they tend to put out the fires they start, but when they are dry it can get a little concerning.

As of 6pm last night they had 97% containment. Control was passed to the neighboring county were very near the line) who were involved early on through unified command. The partion still active is all on the other side of the line and very small and so was just handed off. All hot spots and other tending efforts are complete on this side of the line.

IMG-1572.jpg

You can see in the foreground what SoCal foothills look like in summer. It's never "will there be a fire this year?" in California, it's "when"? Growing up here I've learned not to be too oncerned. If a big enough fire comes along we'll have an earthquake put it out. :) Too close for comfort but, stuck to one general area of open land so all's well.

Glad it wasn't any worse... last wild fire I saw in CA was in 1970-71.... just married and new FIL's place sat on top of a hill with a canyon of brush below the back of their lot in Belmont, CA..... the canyon caught fire and was burning up the hill.... fortunately the FIL kept a 6' section back of his back fence as a fire break... the fire came to within about 10 feet of that break before they got it under control.... he wet his roof (Wood shingles) to keep embers off of it.... not much problem except a lot of smoke.

Last edited:
So how did the meatloaf turn out? ;)
I believe it was a little burned. :D

Glad to see they got it handled, Glenn. Like you said, it's not a question of if the hills will burn, but when. Fortunately, the wildland firefighters in CA tend to know what they're doing...most likely due to getting lots of experience.

Too true. Those that have been near them or even watched the news know how quickly things can shift. These are not lazy wandering fire lines.

Just ketchup for the leftovers ;-)

They can get out of hand real quick. I put one out in my house and one in a park. No one was around at the time. Just needed to get it done. To back bad no one was around when the shop went up in smoke 5 years ago. That left a mark.

Big fire about 10 miles east of my home. A building of some sort.
6bbc829285da6519d4ad6f10799e3e56.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk