candy dispenser finish

Sayer Fancher

IMG_0268.jpeg
I built a few of these m&m candy dispensers. I made them from pine and would like a darker finish. I tried mineral oil but it doesn't darken the wood. Would it be ok to stain these and put a light coat of poly on? Being this will not be cut on with a knife or eaten off of would i be ok to not use a food safe finish? The m$m's are in a glass jar and only touch the unfinished wood in the slide. The only time they would be touching a stained/polly'ed area are when they drop into the tray but would only be there until removed, it would not be for storage of any kind. What do you think? Thanks

I would generally avoid the softer "home store" oil based poly's as they're more likely to get goopy (some react to oils at least some and some candy has some oil so.. might eventually be a problem).

I think one of the harder poly/cured finishes would be fine.

Waterlox or Behlens would be ok.. ish.. but you'd need to air the darn thing out for a month before I'd feel comfortable using it. I think you'd have similar issues with the various wiping varnish oil/varnish compounds in that small drawer.

I think my preference would be one of the better water based poly's like General Finishes Enduro-Var or something similar. It cures super hard, quite quickly, and doesn't really have any residual odor. It's very lightly ambering. You can put it over an oil stain base IF you let the stain base fully dry, I'd probably prefer a water based stain if you needed to make it darker. I'd probably leave the inside of the drawer unstained in this case just to avoid any risk of residual odor if you're using an oil stain.

Second choice would be gold or amber shellac which will also give it some color and a nice protective finish. Mostly second choice because it'll be tricky getting the shellac into the insides of that little drawer without gooping up the sides. You can also put this over an oil stain just fine, ditto on probably leaving the inside unstained.

You could also leave the inside of the drawer mostly/entirely unfinished and do the outside in whatever..

I think my preference would be one of the better water based poly's like General Finishes Enduro-Var or something similar. It cures super hard, quite quickly, and doesn't really have any residual odor. It's very lightly ambering. You can put it over an oil stain base IF you let the stain base fully dry, I'd probably prefer a water based stain if you needed to make it darker. I'd probably leave the inside of the drawer unstained in this case just to avoid any risk of residual odor if you're using an oil stain.

ryans thoughts above is where i would go.. shellac is good as well, but the enduro is a tuffer finish

I finished one with water based stain and poly. Came out ok but the end grains of the pine get much darker than the rest. I did have to remove the slide, it really got tight after staining. A little sanding and re coating, it works fine now. Going to try amber shellac on the next one. Thanks for the responses.

Thanks Larry, i think the slider swelled up a touch when the stain went on. I had it to tight to begin with. Do you think a pre stain conditioner would help also with the end grain? Im not good at finishing but I love the building part. Thanks