Card Scraper Sharpening Redux

glenn bradley

This comes up so often I thought I would post (probably again, sorry) how I do this.
The felt pen labeled block of wood is what I used to use to hold a mill file at 90 degrees to mill the scraper's edges. It is just a milled scrap of ash. The extra slot at the far end is meaningless. It just happened to be in the piece of scrap when I chose it.
I got a Veritas file holder somewhere along the way and it is pretty idiot proof for straight edges. The other block of wood just helps me keep the card perpendicular to the stone when stoning the edges.
Card Scraper Sharpen 2022 (1).jpg
I start by removing any remaining hook by stoning the faces near the edges, both sides, all edges.
Card Scraper Sharpen 2022 (2).jpg
I then mill each edge. Normally I hold the scraper and the file in my hands but, I have to hold the camera
:)

Card Scraper Sharpen 2022 (3).jpg
As mentioned I use the block of wood, any milled scrap will do, to help me consistently stone the edges on a coarse stone (about 200 grit) and then a fine (about 600 grit).
Card Scraper Sharpen 2022 (4).jpg
What I am after is a smooth even "face" for the full length of the edge.
Card Scraper Sharpen 2022 (5).jpg
cont'd . . .

. . . cont'd.
I then pull the edges with a burnishing rod.
Card Scraper Sharpen 2022 (6).jpg
The Veritas tri-burnisher has become my go-to. It really excels at curved scrapers but is good overall.
Card Scraper Sharpen 2022 (7).jpg
For hooking straight edges the Veritas (what is this!?! a Lee Valley ad???) burnisher is another idiot-proof helper.
Card Scraper Sharpen 2022 (8).jpg
A burnishing rod will do fine too. I do a 5 to 10 degree hook for a couple of passes. Over working the hook step causes a lot of folks issues I think.
Card Scraper Sharpen 2022 (9).jpg
After the few-minute process your card scraper does this.
Card Scraper Sharpen 2022 (10).jpg
All the Veritas items are just helpers. I got along fine before I had them. These are the types of things I add to wish lists for birthdays and Christmas.

I think that all the times I’ve used my scrapers have been to remove varnish from old furniture rather than to finish a piece of wood. Having the with a proper burr helps a lot and it makes it easier on your fingers. Thanks for posting it Glenn, and yes the veritas burnisher tool is a foolprof one I have it and it works like a charm.

I think that all the times I’ve used my scrapers have been to remove varnish from old furniture rather than to finish a piece of wood.

It's worth learning how to use them for this alone. SO much better than sandpaper for this purpose. Super handy for complicated grain and some other things, but man for removing old finish, especially brittle old finish there's nothing like them.