Carpenters Tool Belt/Bags

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have a brand of tool belt bags that they like? Seems like there are a lot of canvas/nylon type bags available, but would like some good leather ones, but will look at the canvas style ones too if there reasons that you like them over leather.

I'd also like to stick to a loop type using a leather belt so that I can swap on my drill holster, electrical pouch, or a drywall pouch, depending on the work I'm doing.

I'm looking to replace my old suede tool bags. They've worked ok but have always been unhappy with the way the pockets close up and the lack of smaller pockets in them. I've had this set since I was 16 or 17, so will probably hand them down to the grandson to use.

I've got an apron for woodworking, specific to the shop, but 100% more effective than looking for my tape measure, pencil, and square every 2 minutes. For smaller jobs I rarely wear a tool belt, but mostly as the old one is just not comfortable or easy to use. With some of the projects I have coming up, I'm going to need something a lot more functional to keep my sanity.

When I was hanging pictures for a living, I wore a basic nylon/canvas tool belt that had a few pockets, a hammer loop, and a holster for a drill/driver. The pockets were not permanently attached to the belt, so I could add/remove/relocate them as need be. It was a pretty non-descript one I picked up at one of the Borgs, but it served me well. I chose that particular one because the pocket configuration covered my needs. Because the pockets were moveable, I was able to put the hammer loop on my left side, which made more sense to me since I used the drill/driver 95% of the time and seldom needed the hammer. (I'd often leave the hammer in the tool bag until I needed it, just to save weight on my hips.)

I think the set I currently have are some old craftsman bags my dad got for me, anything is going to be an improvement. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend for the diamondback bags, they do look nice and look to work well, but I think I'll setting for something in between price wise, probably on the lower half of that.

A friend that still does framing recommended this set from Lowes. He said he's been using them for several years now, with suspenders and they've held up really well. Looks like I'll either wait for them to come in stock or order some and return if they don't look like they will work out.