Cellular LTE Internet

Well, been trying for a few days to get connected with the new Nomad router, I've gotten one bar but no internet. The new directional antennas arrived earlier today, so put them up on the pole and pointed them in the direction of the tower in town. I got up to 3 bars, but no internet still. I contacted Nomad and they had me go through all the basic reboot, pull and reinsert the sim, say my ABC's backwards, walk a straight line...errr wrong test, but a lot basic stuff. They have sent it to upper tech support now to check on the sim and account. I suspect they will be sending me a new sim or equipment, but am waiting at this point.

That's both funny and sad :pullhair:
Yeah, just a bit disappointing. It’s showing connected to Verizon LTE now with two bars, Every once in a while it will load up a page, then come up with page not responding a few seconds later. :dunno:

I kind of knew this was a long shot, and if the get it working…great. I may have them send me a T-Mobile plan as part of the trial and see if it works by chance if this one doesn’t.

@Jay Caughron @Don Baer I was watching a youtube of crosstalk solutions, whom has a channel covering a lot of network gear and Ubiquiti equipment. He was covering an RV internet solution and mentioned that they are selling sims for unlimited and unthrottled plans, he said to to email them (see youtube comments/description) and they would quote it. I did so and looks like I'll be ordering a sim from them to try out.

Details of what was quoted to me:

Provider: AT&T
Terms: Month to Month (no long-term contract), one-month minimum.
Price: $119.00/month + tax (if applicable)
Service: 3G/4G/5G unlimited service (no data caps or throttling)

Sim Card Price (Setup fee): $20.00 - Waived with Peplink Purchase

Optional Service:

-Public Static IP: $15/Month.
-Peplink Sales & Setup: Please let us know if you are interested in getting a Peplink Cellular Router with your AT&T sim card.

I do already own a pepwave device, but I'll hopefully be using one of my existing netgear modems as they seemed to have better connectifity. I also have a unifi long range LTE device on order to test out.

I also did chat with Nomad and asked about other service plans. They've offered to send me an AT&T plan to try instead. It is about $30 more per month than the one I posted about about above. They don't have the AT&T plans (Big Blue) listed on their site at this time, nor the Verizon plan (Big Red), but seem to have some to offer for customer retention. ;)

Edit: I did ask about the "Up to Unlimited" and was told that the carrier may flag the account if it is abusive (300 - 400 GB per month). I'll be interested to see what the Crosstalk plan allows.

Well, The Nomad plans were canceled and I got the Crosstalk plan I posted about above, which was cheaper per month. It's taken a couple of days for the modem to get an IP due to some issues on the AT&T side, but they got me hooked up. I bought a new modem from them that is a Cat 12 modem. My Netgear hotspots were all Cat4 modems and would only get about 25 MBPS downloads. The Cat 12 is already about 38 MBPS down, but I need to mess with the external antennas and perhaps put them up higher on the pole. The modem is capable of up to 600 MBPS downloads, and up to 150 MBPS up load, but I'm pretty far from the tower. I'm expecting to get close to 100 MBPS, maybe a bit faster.

I did ask about their "unlimited" quote as I didn't want to get flagged by AT&T. He told me use as much as you want, they have many customers using over 1 TB each month. :woot:

Well, I adjusted the antennas this morning to the general direction of the tower and there was a little improvement, the upload about doubled though. I'll have to try getting them up higher than they currently are. I also enabled the static IP this morning, so I'll be able to check on things here when we're away.

12737753465.png

Looks like that may be the best I get. I took it into google earth and plotted the line, here is the elevations for that path. I've got at least 1 hill top on the current path/location blocking line of sight, and assuming the tower itself is about 150' tall.
Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 3.03.38 PM.png

Unless I put a small tower up on one of our hill tops, and repeat to the house.
Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 3.09.10 PM.png

However, with Starlink still showing it's available to me next month, I can't see a long term payback with that idea. I'll be happy with the current speeds until Starlink.

News story today that Starlink lost 40 of 49 satellites

Nope because those 49 were just the ones launched last week. I'm not sure how many satellites they have up at the moment but it's a bunch. I believe these ones took a hit because they were still boosting into a higher orbit and the solar flare somehow increased drag (blah blah ionosphere blah blah magnetic storm blah blah there now you know more than I do).

Some of the folks who were waiting for new coverage might be out a bit longer though.

And here's some fingers crossed 🤞that we don't get a bigger hit.