Charcuterie

They are great projects for the slabs that the sawmill guys had on the junk pile. Beautiful wood grain and fun to make. I only paid $30 for that slab. I think I can make 2 more out of it.

I assume for pizza? When I saw the slab I immediately thought of the reverse of a river table top, where the board is the river and the epoxy is the outside edge. Man I miss not having a friend with a sawmill anymore.

I like the way you laid those out on the board, the wide sweep looks really nice, adds a lot of texture to it.

Your hanging holes are super smooth/nice looking!! Do you have any tricks you're using for that or just a good drill bit & careful sanding?

When I was making a lot I offset the handle so I could get two boards worth of handles from the same space, for one offs I don't think that it's as useful of a design but when making them in lots of 20+ it helped material utilization some, and for smaller ones I think it looks ok. I roughed these on the bandsaw and then pattern routed the curves & handles.

1612028700819.png

Those look really nice, Brian. Gotta love that Arkansas walnut. :thumb: I've got a buddy in Conway that has sent me a few pieces of walnut from his property to turn on the lathe.

The offset handles look nice. What ate the dimensions

Around 8-10" across depending on the section of board and around 14-16" long (I went a smidge longer on the thinner ones) plus the handle.

Would be pretty nice to get a bunch more of those slabs, I've had some pretty good luck making random bits out of "scrap" wood from a couple mills I was lucky enough to dig through the pile of before :) Sometimes there are some real prizes hidden in there that just aren't big enough or shaped right, or whatever, to be worth selling but are sure fun to play with as one offs.

Thank you. They look bigger. I assume you sell them. He will send me pictures, or bring the slabs for me to take a look at. The boards like I made are about all that kind of slab is good for. I have about 3 feet of that slab left from the bigger end. I'm thinking about what to make from that, end table or coffee table or a serving/decorative tray for my dining room table. The first one in the pictures is 24" by 12" the second one is 22" by 12".

They look bigger. I assume you sell them

Actually I made these as a favor for a buddy who was starting a brewpub at the time. I did the "baked in beeswax" method where I heated the boards to 250F, and then soaked in hot beeswax.... as they cool they suck up a ton of wax so the top 1/8" or so is basically saturated. Lasts better than mineral oil. I gave them some wax & oil butter to top treat occasionally and they've held up pretty well for a few years.

I made a couple of "party platters" as well that were closer to what you made there out of some curly maple.. but since they're using them mostly for individual portions the big ones don't get a lot of use.

That wider end would indeed make a killer side/end table!

I've actually never done it.. but I'd be sorely tempted to slap a handful of butterflies of reducing size into that crack and go full Nakashima on the design for that piece. It seems preserving the ripple in the wood above the fork is worth some amount of effort.. <3 the ripple.