Cheating a little for a segmented bowl

To get perfect angle cuts on segmented pieces, I use a MiterSet Segments Gauge. It gives me exact angle cuts for making segmented circles or partial circles. That and a reliable stop and clamp for the pieces as they are being cut to length will produce perfectly cut segments that all fit together without gaps. One only needs to set it for the number of segments desired. No math is involved. If you are going to be selling your lathe next year, I guess it's too late to be buying one of these, but it may help someone else. MiterSet also makes a similar gauge for setting precise angles in 1/2 degree increments in either direction from 90 degrees. I have both and have used them often. After buying these and trying them, I sold my Incra Miter Gauge and just use the OEM Delta miter gauges that I have.

This is the link for both, but they sell each one separately too. They are made to the quality of Aerospace Hardware and come in blow molded and padded plastic cases.

Charley

if I was sellilng segmented bowls by the dozens Id think about something like that...but 190 bucks....not for me, Ill cheat the cut to glue up.
turning is just not my thing. I gave it a shot for a few years...made plenty of decent pens and wine bottle stoppers.

If only making segmented curves and circles, it's only necessary to buy the segments gauge at about 1/2 the price of the pair, but Allen, in your case this is a big investment for making just one last bowl and I wouldn't buy one for making just one last bowl either. Your post was just a good example of the need for them, so I added this to show a better way to make accurate segments that might help others. I bought mine several years ago and they bring a smile to my face every time that I use them. I sold my Incra miter gauge after buying them. These are far more accurate than the Incra miter gauge that I had.

I neglected to say that these gauges only work well with miter gauges that have accurate 3/4 X 3/8" sized miter bars, since any play in the miter slots or another significantly different size bar will add errors to the settings achieved by these and you won't get good results. My table saw is a Mid 80's Delta Unisaw and I have two original Delta miter gauges for it that work well with these gauges. They will not work for Shop Smith or the budget priced table top saw miter gauge bars, although I heard that they do offer versions to fit Shop Smith miter bars..

Charley

After running it at 650 to 750 speeds I used my drill with a medium padded sanding discs backer and started with 80 grit
Put some tung oil and will put a few rub on poly coats to give it a little sheen
Best I can do

mended up with a high spot ring in inside but didn't want to risk damage so I left it when I felt uncomfortable I might destroy the bowl

Attachments

• 1BA3DF53-07CF-4E3E-AACF-1C0C117F8D44.jpeg
    1BA3DF53-07CF-4E3E-AACF-1C0C117F8D44.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 20
  • EBD94E96-DC08-4039-81C1-1A20E9F77C64.jpeg
    EBD94E96-DC08-4039-81C1-1A20E9F77C64.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 21
  • 6E49E4E5-EFBE-434E-AA4E-F6AD696CA33A.jpeg
    6E49E4E5-EFBE-434E-AA4E-F6AD696CA33A.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 21
  • FC66B81C-060B-4C70-BB67-6DB704889E0A.jpeg
    FC66B81C-060B-4C70-BB67-6DB704889E0A.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 21
The bottom of the bowl is I believe sapele
It might be one of those other mahogany look alikes
I think they called it African mahogany
Was easy to turn
Maple and walnut made up the bowl

Ran the rings through the drum sander
Took me longer to get the sander out and back in the shed then to sand down the rings
3 passes and all glued in gone left with smooth surface to glue
Then I used my sophisticated glue up system to put rings in place
And that's where I'm at
It looks that you were playing jenga with all that you had on the shop ;) Came out nicely eventually, good job!