Cherry Wood Jar

Dave Hoskins

Finished this up today after it warmed up. The ice in the area is almost all gone. Wheee!!! Texans don't do well on ice. Kinda like a bunch of bulls in one china shop. Anyway, the diameter is 5 3/4" with a total height of 5". The vessel height is 2 1/2" and the depth is 2 1/4". Volume measured at 1 1/2 cups. Sealing was done with walnut oil and the finishing was done with I think 4 coats of orange oil wax. Buffing was done between coats. Gave it a nice satin finish.

Attachments

• BXCH6.JPG
    BXCH6.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 12
  • BXCH6A.JPG
    BXCH6A.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 8
  • BXCH6B.JPG
    BXCH6B.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 8
  • BXCH6C.JPG
    BXCH6C.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 8
  • BXCH6D.JPG
    BXCH6D.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 8
  • BXCH6E.JPG
    BXCH6E.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 9
  • BXCH6F.JPG
    BXCH6F.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 9
  • BXCH6G.JPG
    BXCH6G.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 12
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 12
Back in the days when I was working for corporate America I had to travel to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area several times each year.. I must have had a lot of bad luck because every trip I made during the winter months I would encounter an ice storm. And that ice storm always seemed to manifest itself on the morning that I had to drive the rental car back to the airport so I could leave.

I never learned to drive on ice and no one in Dallas/Ft. Worth knew either. It was bumper cars on the highway but fortunately I managed to escape without incident.

Did I mention how much I dislike winter?:unsure:

Remember back my senior year of high school...(1960) ... we had an ice storm that put about 2 inches of ice on the roads... people would drive up to drop off students, but couldn't get started again, tires just spinning on the ice... a group of seniors were standing out front and would push the cars sideways to the middle of the street, then from behind push them down the street. I lived about 90 miles south of Dallas then.

I like your armadillo picture... one of my step fathers (from Oklahoma) swore up and down that they didn't exist....
guess even Armadillos didn't want to live in Oklahoma.

I hate to pop bubbles, but I kinda thot that the thread was about a cherry wood jar. Guess I shouldn't have mentioned the ice storm. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey you know old guys are, never know where their minds are.. any chance to tell an old tale.:cool:

BTW, love your cherry jar... got a couple of chunks myself to work on, but it's too cold in the shop right now... maybe tomorrow
come to think about it, there's a football game tomorrow... maybe Monday.:D

It's alright, guys. I should not have snapped at ya about it. But, thank you all for the comments. My sister mentioned that she thought the design on the lid was different and she liked it. And, I ain't gonna mention ice storms again until we have another one here. :rofl: