choosing new Bessey clamps

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I will have more than $500 of Home Depot gift cards that I want to use to buy clamps. So I am looking for suggestions.

First what I have that I will keep. I have 20 24" Dubuque Universal aluminum bar clamps, 10 36" Universals, 4 48", 4 60", and 4 72". They are in great shape. I have made extension pads for extended reach when needed. They are straight and not gunked up with glue.

I also have some 6", 12", 18", and 24" one-handed Irwin clamps. Some took flight during my sojourn in San Marcos and they don't clamp real well any longer.

A while back I picked up two 12" duo clamps by Bessey. My favorites without a doubt. So I will be getting few more of those to replace the inferior Irwin clamps.

I also have an assortment of light bar clamps. I won't trash them but their use is limited. And then there are wood screw clamps. So that's it pretty much.

So the question is which Bessey clamps should I get, if any. $500 doesn't go far with these guys. LOL! But you only live once.

I know you will say depends on what I want to build. Furniture is the answer so the sizes I have covered that need pretty well. Any speciality clamps Bessey has that are worth looking at?

I have a bunch of besseys, but I went with and stayed with jet clamps, I find them easier on the hands with my arthritis

I only purchase them around black friday when there seems to be half price sales at different places.

I do use them both on same projects, for me, bessey and jet clamps are same quality.
I dont know if home depot sells jet clamps.

You've been to my shop. You know I really give my might mini's (4" light duty, no clutch):

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (11).jpg

and my UniKlamps (parallel, no clutch) . . . I think I have 3 dozen at last count:

cleat-wall-uniklamp-fixture.jpg

a workout.

Oooh. Good choice. I do have some of the littlest F-clamps but I am totally incomplete on the other little guys. What length Uniklamps do you have? I really like those.

Here's a ditto on the Jet version of the clamp. I have a bunch of Besseys - 50", 40", 24" - but got into a closeout on Jet 12" a few years ago and got a dozen of them. The Jet work just as well as the Bessey. And, of course, I have a big assortment of various sizes of F-style clamps and several types of squeeze clamps.

With regard to Jet clamps. First, I am committed to buying at Home Depot beaus I have these awesome gift certificates. The selection of Jet clamps are in sets for the 24" plus clamps. I have a sufficient number of those sizes. I am lacking in the little short clamps. And the older I get, the smaller projects interest me! No reals money to be saved either way.

Right now, I am looking at Duoclamps in the 12" range and UniKlamps in the 6" range. I may also get some more of the mini F-clamps. The corner clamps look good, too. We'll see how far the money goes when I know the total amount I have to spend.

Any others I should look at?

My Uniclamps are probably the most-used clamps I have. 6", 12", and 18" all see use on nearly every project. I have six of each size - and I need a few more!

Here's a ditto on the Jet version of the clamp. I have a bunch of Besseys - 50", 40", 24" - but got into a closeout on Jet 12" a few years ago and got a dozen of them. The Jet work just as well as the Bessey. And, of course, I have a big assortment of various sizes of F-style clamps and several types of squeeze clamps.

I have 6 jet 12 inch and not nearly enough. since most of my glueups are done in 2 parts, I use the 12 inch and I think they are 24 inch the most, 10 times more than any other sizes. I like the release on the jet clamps.

You might be surprised about the variety of tools and manufacturers available on the Home Depot website. And you can have the purchases delivered to your home or for pickup at a local store.

Jim

Oooh. Good choice. I do have some of the littlest F-clamps but I am totally incomplete on the other little guys. What length Uniklamps do you have? I really like those.

As always, it varies with what you do. You've seen a lot of what I do. These are medium duty clamps so although I have some 18" I feel this is really the limit of their length for good function. My most often grabbed? 6", 8" and 12". I have half a dozen of the 6" and 8" and would like a few more . . . I have a dozen or more of the 12". Bessey does not make an 8" but, Rockler was having a stupid-cheap sale on 24" UniKlamps (probably because they are pretty wonky at that length) and I bought all they had. I cut these down to make the 8". Why? I needed a bit more opening than the 6" and the 12" bar was long enough to get in the way. The rest I have picked up over time here and there. One method I used to gather them was to put them in my Amazon wish list and when the price dropped, I bought.

Doh! I forgot we are talking Home Depot gift card here; they do have the UniKlamp and, of course, the Duo's.

Last edited:
Here is what I would buy if it was me (oh wait..I already did this lol) :D (So take that with a grain of salt lol )
So... maybe :

10 each of
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-...e-and-3-3-4-in-Throat-Depth-KRE3524/303953017 $34.97

2 each of
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-...e-and-3-3-4-in-Throat-Depth-KRE3550/303953020 $39.97

2 each of
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-K-Body-REVO-Jaw-Adapter-2-Piece-per-Pack-KR-AS/205404084
K-Body REVO Jaw Adapter (2-Piece per Pack) $13.19

2 each of
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BESSEY-K-Body-REVO-KP-Block-4-Piece-KP/205404081
K-Body REVO KP Block (4-Piece) $20.46

----------
10 24" Kbody = $349.70
2 50" Kbody = $ 79.94
2 Jaw Adapt = $ 26.38
2 Sets Blks = $ 40.92
-----------------------
TOTAL = $ 496.94 before tax.

I'd then go somewhere else and buy the KBX20 KBody extenders.... as Home Depot discontinued them.
https://www.amazon.com/Bessey-KBX20-Body-Clamp-Extender/dp/B0014A44Y8

I'd be interested to see what you end up with :D Tool shopping is way to much fun.