Circle scribe?

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I'm certain it's used for circles, just not clear if it was intended for woodworking or gasket scribing. Anyone have one in their arsenal? It was found in the little house rubble with a few other tools. My wife's grandfather used to be a diesel mechanic in the navy, and he wasn't too clear on what it was for other than scribing circles. I didn't find any markings or names on it.
DE1B8A50-79E3-4538-BF1A-5E6A93A4BBA7.jpeg 980A1103-4072-498A-A011-B1193E4D16C5.jpeg

He doesn’t remember if it was something he bought or came from my wife’s g-g grandfathers tools for furniture work.

Side note, and I’d probably be the same way, he didn’t get all my excitement about old tools that he has. I guess they’d have to be older than him (100 years or more) to be considered old. ;)

I did a google search "scribe circle" and looked at IMAGES

Several items look similar.

Being a 1970's mechanic myself and I did work in a Detroit Diesel marine engine dealership, I cannot understand why it would be used on gaskets. My guess is that is was used in woodworking.

I would clean it up and make it a "user" and it would become one of my "antique" tools collection. I have a few that were handed down.

That's an interesting find and it should look cool with a little rehab. Almost looks like it's an adjustable cutting tool that would turn out doughnut shapes in some material?

The cutters look more like an old gasket cutter to me. I've never seen one with two cutters before[1] but I have a couple of smaller ones with one. Works fine for marking wood as well though :)

Edit: Comments before coffee... [1] in person, and in that same one-sided configuration.. There are lots of examples of similar showing around in pictures though.

Last edited: