Civil War operating table

What precautions do you take when sanding this piece? Any concerns? How was this identified as a civil war surgery table?
Family history. The last person to use it was the grandfather who used it as a butchering table for deer.
As far as precautions, Hand sand after it's run through the stripper. I'm hoping we can get the old nut's and bolts out.

I have heard many times that what distinguished a good surgeon from a bad surgeon in those days was how quickly a limb could be removed since most operations were done without the benefit of any anesthesia. When you see these operations performed in the movies the wounded take a big drink of whiskey and bite on a piece of wood. After the operation the stump was cauterized.

There ain't enough whiskey in the world for this big chicken.

Family history. The last person to use it was the grandfather who used it as a butchering table for deer.
As far as precautions, Hand sand after it's run through the stripper. I'm hoping we can get the old nut's and bolts out.

For the rusted nuts and bolts, have you considered induction heating? Been seeing and hearing great results on this flameless heating system. Might be something for your operation. Thanks for the answers and look forward to seeing this project going forward.

I'd think that table started out as something else, like in a kitchen that they rolled their bread dough on, emergency arose and it became an operating table. I do not think it was built specifically as an operating table with that kind of detail. This is just my thought, I do not know. Anxious to see what you do with it.

I'd think that table started out as something else, like in a kitchen that they rolled their bread dough on, emergency arose and it became an operating table. I do not think it was built specifically as an operating table with that kind of detail. This is just my thought, I do not know. Anxious to see what you do with it.
I would concur with that. Historians who have done documentaries show more straight leg tables. The construction is one of the strongest tables I've ever had in the shop.

I did a little research on surgical tables used in the Civil War. There were a lot of examples ranging from boards sitting atop some wooden barrels to fancy folding tables with leg supports that were hinged.

This was called a Gleason's table. It folded up and adjusted in length.
1678758062679.png

This was called an operating table.
1678758172147.png

Actual photo of surgical table with patient....looks like a kitchen table that was drafted.
1678758340271.png

Another photo showing medical team treating patient on table. This one had an extension sitting on a saw horse to support an arm as it was being treated.

1678758493812.png

Take note of the guy on the far left. He is holding the saw that was commonly in use to remove limbs. He also appears to be wearing an oilskin raincoat to keep from being soaked in blood as he does his job.

An old door sitting atop two barrels provided a work surface.

1678758692469.png

Civil War field embalming table....

1678758888930.png

All in all, I would imagine that the field hospital of that era was not much more than a table and I doubt the table would have been anything that would support a soldier so that the doctor could attend to his wounds.

Last edited:
The third pic, is a dissection of a corpse. And it reminds me some old centuries engravings and paintings where one can see similar setup, like in these below7B2EE0C6-4DAC-4590-8AEB-705B70180EE8.jpegB2B2B2DC-2050-42F2-9C20-5D09DA815D7A.jpeg

What we people do to each other, You would think one generation would learn from the last and under no circumstances allow the atrocities of past generation happen again, yet here we are.

What we people do to each other, You would think one generation would learn from the last and under no circumstances allow the atrocities of past generation happen again, yet here we are.
I do agree, just have a look at nowadays world. Although those paintings actually depict anatomy lessons. There are many other, even some showing Michellangelo teaching anatomy to his apprentices so that they could draw human bodys accurately.
Without scenes like these medical science wouldn't have evolved, and would not be able to heal wounds created by war, mankind is capable of doing the worst atrocities and also the most selfless sacrifices for the good of others.