Close but not quite

Paul Douglass

Another attempt at segmented picture. Not a success because I lost a couple pieces. Two of the very thin line pieces were so thin they crumbled when I handled them and for some reason the black paint did not cure beyond tacky. I suppose I could fill the missing lines with white card stock. Anyway this was a practice. I enjoyed doing it. Never has any problem with rust-oleum paint before, but it is still tacky and I painted it two days ago. I love these pictures, I have this one and a trumpet player.

sax player.jpg

I don't know anything about how you do something like that, Paul. It is really impressive work.

I used to do something that resembled this kind result. I was inlaying figures cut from veneer into the lids of boxes I was building. If things got too thin they would fall apart like you said. To prevent this I started cutting my figures from multiple layers of veneer that were glued together in multiple directions, sort of like plywood. The veneer layers were all from the same wood but you couldn't see the layered material because it all was the same color.

I don't know if what I described would aid you or not.

The bottom line is that I am a lot like Sergeant Schultz- "I know nothing? I know nothing!"

Well I did a redo and I am much happier with it. No missing pieces and more detail. I am ready to give a go at a companion jazz player in the same black and white format.. If I succeed with it I have a Louis Armstrong I want to try.. I know he was not all jazz, but he has alway been one of my very favorites.

Attachments

• jazz player 2.jpg
    jazz player 2.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 13
Well I did a redo and I am much happier with it. No missing pieces and more detail. I am ready to give a go at a companion jazz player in the same black and white format.. If I succeed with it I have a Louis Armstrong I want to try.. I know he was not all jazz, but he has alway been one of my very favorites.
Mine too love Satchmo's music.... I actually saw him walking down a hallway at TWA terminal in LAX... he was carrying his own luggage and walking with a lady I assume was his wife.... didn't try to talk to him as I was working and in uniform and that was frowned on by management... Also go to see Arlene Dahl and handled her luggage on a flight that got diverted to San Bernadino and passenger were bused in .... her driver tried to tip me for loading her luggage in her limo (also frown on by management since I was not a skycap)....