CNC and Laser Record crates

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, Last year I had come up with a design to make some crates out of 1/2" ply to store my 45's in.

I also recently made a set of shelves to hold the crates, but I had only made 11, and the shelves will hold 16, so I need to make some more.

Since I got the CNC put back together, I figured I'd use this as a project to learn how to use the CNC.

Basically I got it to the point where if I have the material prepped I can know out the parts in about 20 minutes on the CNC.

crate1.jpgcrate2.jpg

The biggest challenge I had was since I had taken my old laser apart and I couldn't find the files that I had used previously, and I had used different software for engraving the logo, well, I had to figure out how to do it on the K40.

The biggest problem is that the k40 does a much nicer job than the old laser, so I went through a number of iterations to try and get it to match. I've got it close, but the new ones look a lot crisper and better.

The one on the left is old, and you can see how the dadoes go through and the logo is a bit blurrier, but I think they match enough so that It won't
be noticeable, if I put them on the bottom.

crate3.jpg

So far, I'm really liking my machine now. It's reliable, strong, and usable, and I can chew through things at the recommended feed rates and not have to baby it. Fun times. Need to do a few more tomorrow.

Heck, I'm almost thinking about going on etsy and offering up custom made crates with whatever logo they want.

Last edited:
I like them! :thumb: Maybe need to do some egg crates to store eggs from the girls too. Those might sell well on etsy also.

I really like the idea of an egg create, or making some sort of egg skelter. I need to think on that.

It is my guess that you WILL find a market on ETSY

They look GREAT

Thanks Leo! If I started mass making them, I think I might need to make a bigger CNC!