CNC

David Johnson

Just finished watching a Google post on CNC 3018, small machine an priced at 200.00 dollars. At this price point I feel I could jump into the pool. Looks simple enough to build and sturdy looking. What computer necessary for control, how about programming? I am just a beginner so treat me gentle. It would be used just to create carved small panels and perhaps to personalize items. Or am I jumping into a dark lagoon? At least the price is on the low side so II won't blow the budget.
David

Nice! Looks like a nice little machine. I'll have to take a look at it a bit closer to give any real feedback on it, so I'll just jump to software for now.

Besides some software to send commands to the machine, you'll need some kind of software to generate the gcode for your machine. There are free ones like F-Engrave (https://www.scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave.html) and I'm sure there are others available, just been a while that I've looked at any.

I want to say that vectric has a free software that works with designs that you buy from their Design/Make store also for more intricate designs.

I've looked at those before and There are a lot of people that use them for smaller projects.

Just beware, I started with a very small/inexpensive laser engrave to get my feet wet and it led to me getting/building 3 3d printers, a k40 laser, and an OX cnc with a jtech laser on it, lol.

What kind of computer do you currently have? Ideally, you'll want something that can be moved to sit close to the machine for the usb connection to control it.

The way it usually works is you use some kind of software to generate a 'gcode' file. Some of those applications will have a built in way to send that to the cnc, otherwise you might have to use a gcode sender.

All in all, it does seem like a decent way to get your feet wet in CNC machining.

as you know I have been drawn into the dark side but I have been looking at small machine for quite some time. I looked at that machine in particular (it might have been the young lovely demoing the machine that got my interest but that's just me...lol https://www.sainsmart.com/products/sainsmart-genmitsu-cnc-router-pro-diy-kit ). Any how one thing I did learn is that the spindle is the weekest part of that machine, that said you could always get it to play with with the laser option and if/when you decide to upgrade to a bigger better machine you will still have a nice laser engraver.

Last edited:
I have a MAX 10 cnc machine which is older and very very light duty. I don't use it because I have a much bigger machine to play with. Like I said it is very light duty. It is smaller and more light duty than the 3018 you are seeing.

I have played with it a few times. Yes it CAN do stuff. Can it do what I do on my bigger machine - NO. If that tiny machine was all I had, I would do some really cool stuff with it.

David, there are more, different machines out there than there are cars since the beginning of cars. One thing I can say is that they are all the same, just like all cars are the same. CNC machines are controlled by a computer, they have a cutter, they generally have 3 axis of motion. X - Y - Z And they all generally have a spindle. The configurations might vary a little, but they all do about the same thing.

The programming software is also all the same. You create some sort of 3D model, much like sketchup, they the software creates code that the machine control understands.

I know people that have bought similar machines and were pleasant surprised at what the machine can do. Personally, I would say go for it.

Software for programming.
There is a significant learning curve to software. This is the steepest part of the learning curve.

Vectric is about the most user friendly software I have found. I have played with a lot of the freeware (about 10-12 years ago) and I find severe limitations as well as steep learning curves. I will admit there are some new developments out there since I started in the hobby CNC world.

However, Vectric has created a reasonably easy path for beginners to get into CNC. Cut 2D Desktop is a great beginning at $149.00 Yes it is limited, but is packs a wonderful punch. Vectric is also upgradable with simply the cost difference to next level. With Cut 2D Desktop and the free machinist for some limited 3D you can combine the 2 for some dramatic results. Cut 2D does not do Engraving which is a biggie.

V-Carve Desktop is about the biggest bang for the dollar for a small machine, but is priced at $350.00. Nice thing about vectric is that if you start at Cut 2D desktop and upgrade to V-Carve - it looks and works exactly the same, but with more features.

When I started I had something similar from Vectric. At the time Vectric was only a couple of years old and a fledgling company. They didn't have Cut 2D yet.

There is a lot to explore.