Coffee, End Tables (i hope)

Eric Black

The plywood is a mock-up of the legs to get an idea of size, shape ect. I got my pieces cut to length, some tenons cut the rest I will try cutting by hand to finish (the angle shoulders) then mark out the mortises but that’s it for today. Hopefully soon it will look like the legs I am thinking of.

IMG_0940.JPGIMG_0941.JPGIMG_0957.JPGIMG_0958.JPG

Progress has been painfully slow picking at it after work. I used a guide block to cut the shoulders, my little saw would not cut with the grain so I had to use a tenon jig on the table saw. I cleaned up the rest with a chisel. A couple pieces will need extra attention where my hand cuts where not cut quite close enough.

IMG_0960.JPGIMG_0961.JPG

I marked out for mortises, that is where I am at. I have to work this weekend so hopefully next weekend the pieces will be ready to clamp up and I can see how accurately everything was cut and a better idea what it will look like. I think now some tenons should have been a little longer but something I can learn from. Hope everyone is getting some shop time

I haven’t made much progress on the legs, but I can get a better idea of how it’s going to look. I went with a quarter inch step with the center parts and gave them 1/8 radius. Still need 3/4 walnut feet and the decorative braces will also be walnut. I am thinking of using a dado for the bottom shelf pinned in the center then metal angle clips with slotted holes for the outside edges ( 1/2 shoulder to cover the end of the dado on each side so I can cut extra for expansion) not sure if a dado is the best choice. My phone pics are strange the top and bottom are the same length and thickness (not glued up yet just stuck together)

IMG_0968.JPGIMG_0969.JPG

The weird stuff (for work) in the back ground are for guards for 9, 17 inch edger saw blades. They will enclose the teeth to prevent accidental cuts while transporting, the tops will open like a clam and there will be a 5 inch hole to match the arbor for carrying. I was going to move them but they help hide the mess. Shop time is not looking promising for a bit but will update when I can. :(

Some days I wish I was an edger operator Vaughn, I took the totes/guards to the saw fillers and was corrected our gang saws take the 17 and 15 inch saws the edgers use 3, 21 inch saws. Sometimes I spend twice as much time looking for that clicker Brett than the time it would take to just go turn on the dust collection.

IMG_0970.JPG

Okay I wasn’t planning on this project taking almost a year to build lol that’s just sad. I need to work on my priorities lol. I thought the grain of the ash was a little busy so I glued it up on edge. I had planned to use bread boards but Amy liked it without. Always an option later I guess. Hoping my local lumber yard got some more walnut in I need another board to continue this weekend.

Attachments

• r.JPG
    r.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 21
  • q.JPG
    q.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 17
  • p.JPG
    p.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 16
  • o.jpg
    o.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 18
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 19
  • m.JPG
    m.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 19
  • l.jpg
    l.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 18
  • k.JPG
    k.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 20
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 21
Looks like they're finally coming along nicely though! I'm digging the layout and the way you're using the mix of woods there!

I've found that when the other party involved threatens to buy an Ikea substitute that really kicks the process into high gear :D

Thanks Ryan, she is part of the reason I just got back to it until now. I built her a green house and a water feature this year so she being quite patient with me……….for now :thumb:
i.pngj.jpgk.jpg

Thanks for the update, Eric. Coming along nicely. Don't feel bad. We take our procrastination seriously here. Looking forward to your next post in say.... six months??:thumb::D

Last edited:
Thanks Ryan, she is part of the reason I just got back to it until now. I built her a green house and a water feature this year so she being quite patient with me……….for now :thumb:

Oh hey! Plus what looks like a fair bit of landscaping work. That's still pretty busy, hard to complain about that! The greenhouse came out really nice looking :thumb: (and no complaints about the waterfall I'm sure although ours seems to loose more than its fair share of water when the racoons show up for their nighttime hot-tub parties in it).

Coming together nicely - and nice job on the greenhouse and water feature. They look great.

Don't worry about the length of time it is taking to complete this project. You are moving at light speed compared to some of us (Brent, me...) :rofl: Took me 5 years to complete the built in in my bedroom.

Hey, Eric! Good things come to those who wait (procrastinate?). Look at it this way: sometimes stuff happens and we just have to re-prioritize! BTDT!!!