Cold Front Coming...

We've only had 100+ degree days a few times so far this year, but our humidity has been a lot higher than usual. We have both refrigerated air and a swamp cooler at our house. We prefer to run the swamp cooler, but if the humidty is above around 40% to 45%, we turn on the reefer unit. Most years we only need to run the reefer a couple of weeks in the summer, usually around late July or August. This year, we've had to run it at least part of almost every day since June.

We're supposed to be in the low hundreds the next few days, fortunately the humidity is pretty low. Yesterday the swampy was putting out 70 degree air when it was 99 outside.

I've got a couple of portable ac units last year when the smoke was so bad that we couldn't run the swamp coolers. They did ok, but only had a single hose to dump the hot air outside, so they kind of bring in warm air as well. I got a couple of double hose kits for them for this year, where they will take in outside air and then exhaust it out. It's supposed to greatly increase the efficiency, but I haven't needed to try it yet.

My favorite way of cooling off is to go out to the pool with a refreshing beverage in the late afternoon and float around like a manatee, lol.

Kind of sounds like the water heater in the attic doesn't need much help to heat the water.
Actual photo of Ted's old water heater:

085995000976.jpg

Broke my rule about not working in the afternoon. I wanted to finish up running a drip system for our potted plants that are in the courtyard. I had to do it in spurts. Even though it was a dry heat, it reminded me of our oven which also happens to be a dry heat. I needed some rocks to hold down the 1/2" mainline from coiling back to its natural state. Grabbed the first one and could only hold it for about 10 feet and I was running! It was like pulling a baked potato from the oven.

Still I much prefer working outside in the dry heat of here than the wet heat back East.

I have to admit the mini splits work great. We turn on the main room mini in the afternoon when the outside heat finally starts to overwhelm the insulation and heat the interior. We keep it around 78 to 80 and it is very pleasant. We keep the bedroom shut and just before going to bed turn that mini split on. It takes it no time at all to drop the interior to about 74. Due to how well the house is insulated and opening up the house late at night to the cooler breezes we are not running the AC that much. Just enough to keep it within a comfortable range. I remember when I lived and worked in the NE and SE, it seemed everyone had their AC running constantly and all the interior temps were in the 60's. Felt like you were freezing indoors. Go outside and sweat and them come in and freeze.