Colder than a witches broomstick

Our son’s RV adventure in the Alberta deep freeze continues. He got his diesel truck started last night after an eighteen hour struggle with battery and engine block heating, fuel additive and finally, “a hard slap” with two shots of ether. Last night’s temp went to -45C when the probe of his digital thermometer froze and quit. The daytime high today was -35.
Today’s mission was to drain the tanks and water lines then pump some antifreeze though and double check the heating setups before starting the long trip home for Christmas. One short section of sewer drain had slipped off its holder under the trailer and froze solid a few days ago without his noticing, throwing the plan off the rails. He couldn’t leave the tanks full in such extreme conditions. At this stage, he has the problem solved, but it took hours and he’s missed his flight home. He’s heading for the airport in hopes of rescheduling. Meanwhile, there’s a big weather system looming over the centre of the continent, as many have noted.
We really want him to get home safely.

Late to party here. Was busy on home projects all day. This what the all the weather stations were reporting yesterday morning around me. These are not wind chill values. I have no idea what those were, but the wind was not that strong.

Actually it was a very nice day. I was running in and out of the house while working. Sometimes I would have to just stop and enjoy the view and appreciate how quiet it was.

1671802834183.png

1671803346275.png

I'm a southern boy... woke this morning at 7 degrees with our high to reach 11 by mid-day.... not my kind of weather at all.... still think we should have retired to the tropics.
My son is over in Georgia on top of a mountain with a very steep drive down.. fortunately he works from home, so not expecting him for Christmas.
My stepson also works from home, but his home is an 18 wheeler and he's now sitting in Kentucky, waiting to get out from under a load so he can start home for the holidays... don't expect him in before tomorrow.

They're lifting the blizzard warning at 1 PM and replacing it with a winter storm warning till 7PM.

Watching the radar we've been fortunate that the lake effect snow has stayed west and north of us.

Hello Tom and Larry - you must be getting dumped on.

We have 10-12”, blowing and drifting is the main problem, low to no visibility. Christmas tonight has been moved to Monday as Jimmy is a lot closer to Lake Michigan and a lot more lake affect snow. His barn is about 100 yards from his house and he can’t see it most of the time. But next weekend is supposed to be in the 50’s, crazy weather 🥴