Commercial Cabinet Pullout Retrofit

glenn bradley

I have something like this in a commercial cabinet of my own. A friend who helped . . . a lot . . . with the new shop commented on them.

384154057_Storage-brn-cab-redo(11).jpg.6ba0ec7ff0e8f83dd2aa53e8b038a760.jpg
I told him to send me the measurements of his cabinet and I would build him some. Normally I worry about customers sending in drawings but, this guys stuff looks like this
:rolleyes:
:

790775584_Dan-Cab(6).thumb.jpg.cc14b54fe88d8a2da11ebf36a149a005.jpg
I took what I learned from my first version and applied it to this version. I guess he gets the benefit
:huh:

272379084_Dan-Cab(1).jpg.855a7deb2d4352df490455157f241715.jpg
1698229744_Dan-Cab(2).jpg.573cd76809ca317c237f505d0324e01e.jpg
263374827_Dan-Cab(3).jpg.ed059ccd49f701bf0f3eae54c5c36e33.jpg
I will make him two more after we test fit this one.

Couple of questions (since I have an almost identical cabinet.. that is not nearly as well organized).

I assume there's some plan for anti-tip measures for the cabinet with this setup?

How are you fastening the frames to the cabinet? just pan head screws through the outside wall or are you mounting them somehow using the built in shelf bracket system?

Glad you asked. I hate to blather on (I often do) if there was no specific interest. The first version that you see in the first picture is still in use. This version used a framework that fastened to the cabinet sides for support. This works but, the cabinet sides flex too much and the drawers occasionally bind.

The new version is a stand alone fixture. This fixture sets on the shelf for vertical support. It is then fastened to the cabinet sides and back for anti-tipping support. The fixture is just narrow enough to slide into the cabinet opening and onto the shelf. The difference between the cabinet opening and the cabinet's internal width is filled with spacer blocks.

Dan-Cab (7).jpg
The blocks are not attached to the fixture at this time. The blocks are attached to the cabinet sides via pan or truss head screws from the outside. The fixture is slid into place with the drawer removed. The fixture is screwed to the blocks. Additional screws can be driven through the back of the fixture from inside or outside as your situation allows. Install the drawer.

The fixture is just narrow enough to slide into the cabinet opening and onto the shelf.
Ah interesting.. I think it might be nice to have more pull outs than I have shelves... but that would be easy to fix by turning the setup into a minicabinet.. hmmmm.. that would also offer top support and solve the binding.. but is also awfully close to the slippery slope of more stand along cabinets :D

I was kind of wondering about anti-tipping support for the whole cabinet because with pullouts it turns out to be surprisingly easy to dump the whole thing on its face (don't ask :rolleyes:).