completed instillation of my cabinet

Keith Thomas

It seemed like it took forever to finish it but I'm finally done. I got all the drawers flush by remounting the slides. One thing I debated on is wether or not I wanted to have the cabinet door go to the ceiling or stop so it would be even with the closet door. In person it looks fine but just looking at the picture I wish the cabinet door and the closet doors were the same height. I went with storage capacity.
The cabinet is plumb but I never checked the wall edge which is out of plumb and now makes the cabinet look a little off. So far no ones noticed but me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 18
Keith, That's a great use of the space. (y) I understand your concern about the height not matching the closet. Don't know if it would help, but maybe extending the top molding of the new cabinet to the right to incorporate the heater vent and then back down to meet the right hand frame of the closet and painting the enclosed space to match the cabinetry would make it look better? You could also add a couple of molding squares in the space to echo the closet doors?

Excellent use of space!

The cabinet is plumb but I never checked the wall edge which is out of plumb and now makes the cabinet look a little off. So far no ones noticed but me.

And likely no one will :cool: (y) It's always a complex trade off with mounting stuff like that, I think you made the right call making the cabinet plumb.

Keith, That's a great use of the space. (y) I understand your concern about the height not matching the closet. Don't know if it would help, but maybe extending the top molding of the new cabinet to the right to incorporate the heater vent and then back down to meet the right hand frame of the closet and painting the enclosed space to match the cabinetry would make it look better? You could also add a couple of molding squares in the space to echo the closet doors?
It is a big increase in square footage of storage space.
I was thinking of something like that ( thats a recessed light by the way. shines on both sides of the wall)
last night i was thinking of making some faux cabinet fronts, kinda like a wainscoting, to put up there. it would tie it all together. If i did do that it would be down the road a bit.

Excellent use of space!

And likely no one will :cool: (y) It's always a complex trade off with mounting stuff like that, I think you made the right call making the cabinet plumb.
I have a bad habit of pointing out mistakes. If it wasn't such a thin strip of wall i wouldn't have noticed it either

I have a bad habit of pointing out mistakes. If it wasn't such a thin strip of wall i wouldn't have noticed it either

Yeah, me to :) There's a tile in our guest bathroom that is sliiightly crooked right at eye level and it drives me nuts knowing I messed that up. The only other person who's noticed it is the person who sits in the same location several times a day (and she's pretty good at picking such things out haha).

But 99% of the time it doesn't matter, and in this case between the choices you had.. I think it was probably the right one (y)