Concrete slab

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Little birdie told me my permit has been approved though I don't have it yet. Nothing like a small town!

So, wrestling with bids for the slab. What do I need to know so I don't have gotchas that wind up costin tons more? The slab will be 20'x24'. Two bids so far and they a $2K apart! Sheesh!

How was it spec'd? Thickness, rebar, welded wire mesh, fiber, turned down edge with rebar all around and ground for electric? All depends. What's concrete going for in your area?

Thanks, Ted. A lot to look into. Don't have any answers yet. 4" slab with some sort of mesh. Don;t know about the other stuff, but probably not around here. Did find out concrete can be mixed on site as opposed to trucking it in. Which might be good because getting a concrete truck anywhere near the slab location is not easily doable. And no, neither contractor has even looked at the job so they are unaware. Getting them to come and look is starting to be problematic.

My shop addition was 20x24. An independent concrete contractor was recommended and gave me the best price. He used fiberglass reinforced concrete. The only rebar was in the footer around the outer three sides.

A 20x24 slab 4" thick will require about 6 cubic yards of concrete mix, plus additional if you have any footers. Not sure about mixing that much on site.

Our contractor used one of these to carry the mix from the truck on the street:
Concrete-Buggies-16CF-Propane-1317.jpg

Maybe one bidder was accounting for use of a concrete pumper - which may explain the $2,000 difference.

Does the slab plan include a deeper (footing) section around the perimeter?

A little more research. Price in this area should range from $2100 to $2600. The highest bid was $4700 and he didn't look at the job, just bid it on line. Obviously doesn't want the work. Waiting on other bids. Likely the guy who says, "I need to look at the site first" gets my preference.

Sounds like you're on the right path, Carol. I agree with the suggestions and observations above, particularly favoring any contractor who actually looks at the site. :thumb:

Based on what I used to do here in Indiana cost for a 4" slab on (no turn down edge) and a 6" stone base would be $3,000 to $3,500. That is based on union rates. That does include a stone base and vapor barrier, it does not include excavation/prep. Hope this helps.