converting a tow behind trailer to a 5th wheel

Don Baer

Staff member
As I am getting close to purchasing my RV and I do a lot of research I am compiling a ton of helpful hints. I am looking at getting a 5th wheel but have discovered that the price difference between a tow behind and a 5th wheel is significant. I want a 5th wheel because it eliminates a lot of the problem associated with tow behind trailer. I was already planning on using a goose neck and had looked at gooseneck conversion conversion anyhow. I ran across this and for the price it appear to be just the ticket and will save me mega bucks when I finally pull the trigger.

I hadn't seen this either, can see some benefits. I'm guessing it may void a new travel trailers warranty but if your doing a used trailer, warranty would be mute.

I have a friend that just put a popup camper on the front part of his gooseneck flatbed sideways, and hauls his razors around on the back half.

I hadn't seen this either, can see some benefits. I'm guessing it may void a new travel trailers warranty but if your doing a used trailer, warranty would be mute.

I thought that taking off the 5th wheel hitch and putting on a gooseneck on a standard 5th wheel would void the warrantee but I talked to one dealer and they said it wouldn't be a problem if their mechanic did the work, I'll gave to check to see if that would be true of one of these. I really think this is the way I want to go.

I know nothing about trailer prices, but is the cost saving worth losing the extra "upstairs" sleeping space on a traditional 5th wheel camp trailer?

I know nothing about trailer prices, but is the cost saving worth losing the extra "upstairs" sleeping space on a traditional 5th wheel camp trailer?
about 20 grand difference. And you have as much space it's just on one level. A 34 foot trailer is just the same size as a 34 foot 5th wheel.

Looks like this one is sold, but maybe another idea for you now that you have your side by side 4x4. Got to haul that too!:)

https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/gooseneck-toy-hauler-open-deck.1024734/
that's why I am going to get a Toy Hauler so I can take the side by side....something like this..