Converting DP to 3 phase

I'll find out, but thinking I may convert my wood lathe as well at some point if I ever get it out of storage.

I don't think you'd regret doing that at all. I would add the dial type speed potentiometer for that though because it makes it really nice to just bump it up (and a tach is also nice just for visual). If you can put that and a stop/start on a extended remote extra bonus!

Be interesting to see how the torque is at low speed... Time to bust out the big forstner or 2" metal drill and see how it chooches.

Seems like a good solution as the middle pulley for speed changes isn't buying you much at this point.

Side question: the tension is still just moving the motor back?
Yes, the motor mount has two shafts coming from the rear of the DP and a lever on the side, like a rack and pinion, that cams the shafts in/out for the tension.

The Huanyang drives have a horrible reputation, low quality, poor customer service, over at the Practical Machinist website they are a banned topic for those reasons. You get what you pay for.

The Huanyang drives have a horrible reputation, low quality, poor customer service, over at the Practical Machinist website they are a banned topic for those reasons. You get what you pay for.

So far I've not had issues with the one on my cnc. It is in a air filtered pressurized cabinet to keep it clean, but may have just got lucky. I'm pretty happy with the Teco unit though.

Although this is a older topic, another issue with VFD's is they do not play well with GFCI's, and with the 2020. & 2023 NEC adding requirement for 240V circuits in addition all 120V receptacles in garages & outbuildings to have GFCI protection, it is going to be a big problem now. No requirements for AFCI's in those areas.