converting to DXF files - free version

Don Baer

Staff member
OK I might have missed this discussion so I'll ask the question again. I have used Sketchup for a long long long long time...(ok I'm old, I'll admit it). Now that I have embarked on the dark path know as CNC I am finding that free free version of sketch up wont let me convert to dxf or stl files. I would need the pro version. I found a plugin but when i tried to install it sketchup wouldn't let me and tried to force me to upgrade to the latest version. what am i doing wrong .

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? I.e. what program is your intended destination?

Vcarve can import vectors from skp files directly. I used that when I designed my record crates in sketchup, then used vcarve to create the tool paths.

Ahh, Don't know about lazy cam. Yeah, I'm not sure I had success trying to get an skp file -> DXF, but will be very interested if there is a way.

i was trying to get a part into Lazy Cam.
I remember using lazy cam early on, but was a lot of trial/error. Depending on what you're wanting to do, there may be a vectric tool that is in budget. Give them a try and you'll save yourself a lot of head aches. It took me a while to swallow that pill, but not sorry I did...now. ;)

I remember using lazy cam early on, but was a lot of trial/error. Depending on what you're wanting to do, there may be a vectric tool that is in budget. Give them a try and you'll save yourself a lot of head aches. It took me a while to swallow that pill, but not sorry I did...now. ;)
right now i am just studying whats available while waiting for parts....lol. I haven't decided what direction i want to take.

I don't have 2017, I Have sketchup verion 8 which I believe is newer than 2017 and there is one for it also but when I try to install the plugin I get...and error.

No. Version 8 is ancient by software standards. (Initial release 9-1-2010) It was replaced by SketchUp 2013. SketchUp 8 was the last of the Google versions and their web interfaces haven't been functional for a long time because Google discontinued those links. Versions between 2013 and 2016 no longer function with the old web interfaces either so the Extension Warehouse and 3D Warehouse aren't supported. (This is due to Windows discontinuing support for IE)

You can go to the Extension Warehouse in your browser and download the .rbz file. Assuming you have V8 M2, you should have an Install Extension button in Window>Preferences>Extensions. You can use that to install the extension. Restart SketchUp after the extension has been installed.

Lazy Cam is one of the freewares that I played with about 13 years ago. I think it WAS an extension of Mach3, but no longer supported. I didn't like it.

V-Carve Cut2D desktop is by far better than lazycam ever thought about being. It is $149.00 and there is a free trial. I would recommend that.

I have no CNC or 3D printer. I do see the tone of this thread leading away from Lazy Cam. I just want to toss out there that I have been a lot happier moving to something others have posted success with when I am struggling with something new. I tend to get hooked on what I think the product should do. This is a time killer. I just mean to share one of the things I used to do a lot and do less now as I have learned that change can be good ;-)

I found an easy fix, This site has two versions, one for the older versions of Sketchup and one for the new version, I tested both and seems to be pretty simple.

Oh and Dave I tried the newest version and decided I wasn't ready for it but i did upgrade to 2017.