Cool Sawmill Video

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I figured this belonged in the Old Iron subforum. I stumbled upon this video tonight and figured some of y'all might enjoy seeing it. The last third of the video just shows a simple manual chainsaw mill, but the old woodslicer that's shown in the first part is worth checking out. (Oh and for the record, the clickbait thumbnail photo on the video has nothing to do with the machine that's actually in this video.)

Interesting, that's a direct derivation of the old Dutch wind powered design (video of the thing in action after the article, the article is worth reading as well... core77 sometimes is..).

Which is itself directly derived from the old pit saw which I know was in use at least until the late 80's when I last used one :D

Eugenio Monesma's most excellent spanish ethnographic channel has a rather fantastic video of a pit saw in use in the Pyrenees with some noted differences from local tooling, but a lot of overlap as well.

If any of you in the Northeast ever get to Old Sturbridge Village in Sturbridge, MA, they have a sawmill that runs from a water wheel and it's a pit saw design, enclosed in a building. The last time that I was there it was running and cutting 1" planks from 18-24" logs. They do their own restoration work there, so the planks were likely headed for a rebuild/repair of one of the buildings. They were pushing the saw for a fast cut that day, and the floor of the sawmill was going up and down several inches with each stroke of the blade, so when watching you became part of the action. I've seen sawmills with circular saw blades, but this is the only one with a straight pit saw action that I've ever seen. Old Sturbridge Village was created by moving many old buildings there to make a complete colonial town of the late 1700's. It has a village green with shops along both sides, a farm, tin smith, candle maker, sawmill, bakery (great cookies and smell), restaurants, pottery, cobbler, etc. and all of the shops are staffed with workers who will show you what they are doing while actually making the items. There was even some kids in 1700's costume rolling hoops down the village green that day. Products produced in the shops are available at the gift shop located near the exit. The only products sold from the source is the food. There is electric power in all of the buildings, and likely other modern services within the village, but it's all concealed, Indirect lighting from hidden lights is the norm here, so it's easy to feel like you went back in time to wake up in a 1700's
New England Colonial Village. They even use horse and wagons to deliver supplies within the village. No tractors on the farm either. I've been there several times and each was very enjoyable. If you love American History, it's a "Must See". Plan on spending a full day plus there. Sturbridge is located roughly near the Mass, Rhode Island, Conn, intersection in Mass.

The next day, head down to the Mystic Seaport, in Mystic, Conn. where they have restored wooden sailing ships, seaport shops, and even a 50' coal fired steam boat that will take you on a ride around the harbor. Both places need to be seen by every woodworker who appreciates colonial furniture and sailing ships.

Charley