Cooper's Plane and other stuff

Now that's a plane! You could give up your gym membership if you worked with that every day.

Actually, the plane is stationary. You bring the wood (barrel staves) to it. I've seen a couple of them in use at Williamsburg and Mystic Seaport.

Steve: All those purpose-dedicated drawknives and shaves are really interesting, too. Great wall-hangers as-is, or you could clean and sharpen them and put them back to work. Made any barrels or kegs lately? :D :D

Quite a collection of scorps and shaves there! I know a few folks who'd trade treasured body parts for a collection like that.

The plane is really interesting. It might well be one of a very few like that remaining, I can't imagine there were very many transitional coopering planes made with a metal body and wood sole. There are quite a few all woodies floating around but this is certainly one for the archives! Does it have any makers marks on it?

this plane is soilid cast iron, not a transitional
i spent some time on the blade, tool works nicely

this brass plate is riveted on

pic 6r.jpg

can we not embed larger pictures directly in the post?

From the picture it appears the plane has a wooden sole, not true? Either way it's a pretty incredible find!

Can't find a lot on J Fearn, other than the obvious that he was a 19th century tool maker. The "supplied by" is an interesting turn off phrase. I kind of like it.

Nice find! :thumb:

If you double click the image once you've uploaded it (and before posting) you'll get a pop-up to set the size of the image to display, this is large...
21728196_10200372647221026_6972065116876957005_n.jpg