corona virus comment

I received a link to Md essential business, service related are able to work still.
Jarrod has mandated all customers remain outside the shop. We will bring in or take out the work. He will pick up and deliver but with protective gear. I had to let the new guy go because only 5 people can occupy a place of business. Time marches on hopefully this thing will die out sooner than later.

New Mexico's Governor issued a "stay at home" order this afternoon, effective tomorrow at 8:00 AM. It closes all non-essential businesses and services. Hardware/lumber stores (and specifically "big box" places like Lowe's and Home Depot can remain open. We were at Home Depot this afternoon picking up plywood and they were asking customers to please be patient because they were short-staffed. Most retail places are also closing earlier than normal. (Home Depot closed at 6:00 instead of their usual 9:00, for example.) It seems like most people here in Albuquerque are taking it seriously, but there's still a pretty significant number who aren't. It'll be interesting to see how much (or if) those attitudes change in the next few days. The overall public sentiment here has shifted a lot in the past week or so, as it should in my opinion.

Hmmm. Should of bought more lumber. Only enough work in the shop to keep me busy till the end of the month. I wonder if a trip to the lumber mill is considered 'essential travel'. :rofl: If they are even open!

Well, plenty of stuff on the honey-do list that won't need additional supplies. :doh:

Consider it essential for mental health.

Hold on there a minute Boba Louie!
Just received word from plywood dealer they are ceasing pick up operations at the end of the day today. Luckily I got my order in in time so I can get mine today. whew!

My county and state have mandated that non-essential employees stay home, and all restaurants and bars are closed for sit down business. Churches, schools, DMV, gyms, libraries, bowling leagues, bingo, etc....all closed down. No unnecessary travel. My company qualifies as essential because we make blood analyzers. I'm alternating working at home and going in work every other day...they just started monitoring your temp when you go into the plant....you wait in line, and nurse gives you a green light to pass. We also have to carry a letter with us giving us permission to travel to and from work.

It's all pretty unsettling, but I've been passing the time spinning some records on a new turntable my kids gave me for my birthday last week. There is an eerie peacefulness to all this.

Last edited:
Working from home as is my wife. School probably done for the year. Most everything closed but essential stores. Trying to get outside and the shop as much as possible has helped with the cabin fever. We were supposed to be in Cabo, Mexico last week but were able to push that trip back until the end October a few weeks ago. Some other friends did go to the Bahamas and said getting back into the Miami airport was pretty frightening. They are self quarantining for 14 days per the guidelines they were given. I'm now on day 8 of self distancing other than getting food and libations. My wife and daughter are now 10 days in. Hoping the near future brings some good news, but have a feeling things will the getting worse first. Good vibes to all!

We have been staying inside for over a week now, but I go back and forth to my shop frequently, since it's only about 100' from the house. I'm fully retired, so I really don't need to go anywhere, except for groceries. The house is roughly in the middle of 3 acres with about 1,600' of lake shore, essentially it's on 3 sides of my property, so I think it's safe for me to go anywhere outside on my property safely. I plan on staying away from the neighbors though. The county that I live in has 8 infected so far. It has been increasing by 2 per day. I wish I knew how close they are, but I can't find that information. With the exception of an occasional grocery trip wearing gloves and masks, I think we can just stay here indefinitely, but I'm quite certain that I'm a goner if I catch this. I've had 7 heart surgeries and survived the big "C" twice, so I'm quite convinced that I won't survive this virus, if I should get it.

My #2 son is the senior refrigeration tech for the warehouses of a large food chain and he was told that he has to work, so I won't be seeing him until this is over. He said that he doesn't dare come to see us because of this. We are having almost nightly talks on the phone as a result. My #3 son is handicapped and living with us.

We lost #1 son to a heart problem back in 2000. His daughter and wife are living on a farm in the next county North of us, and they are 1/2 mile from other neighbors and civilization, except for one neighbor who lives about 1000' away. They have plenty of food and supplies, so I think they will be OK too. Their county only has 2 with this virus, so far.

Charley

wisconsin closed down but let the folk from other places like Illinois come into there parks and resorts to bring possible virus with them. a small town with recreational parks and cottages have now become a summer number in population and are putting undue stress on the supplies there

Numbers are growing, but again, these are "confirmed" (where someone actually tested. If you're seeing high numbers locally, then it's probably more wide spread in the community but many folks haven't tested or had severe symptoms from it. Looks like the US is up to 55,238 confirmed cases. The map at the John Hopkins website I've been watching went from "by state" to "by county" tracking this week, the map keeps getting redder and redder.
JohnHopkinsMap.PNG
Map Link: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Was listening to a podcast this morning, don't remember which one, but interesting fact...a person uses on average 57 sheets of TP per day. ;)

Last edited:
Hope Allen and other New Yorkers stay tucked in at home and safe after reading this...
"Roughly 60 percent of the United States' new cases are coming from the New York City metropolitan area, something both President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence said needs to be addressed. The Big Apple has an infection rate of one for every 1,000 people, compared to 0.1 or 0.2 percent for every 1,000 people in other places, "

Scary stuff. Diane and I are going nowhere. Diane works 3 days a week at an assisted living place which is deemed essential. Other than that we will not go anywhere unless it is absolutely necessary. Mass is pretty much locked down.

8 rolls a year is all I use ...
LOML and I have separate bathrooms. She likes her brand of TP and I like mine. Last June I bought a 24-pack of Charmin jumbo rolls (or whatever they're called) for my bathroom. Just for fun I put a Post-It note inside the cabinet door with the date. That 24-pack lasted me until about a month ago.