Cottonwood - Went Soft Today

Dave Hoskins

Finished this up today after it warmed up a bit. Nice little cottonwood pedestal bowl for someone's candies or nuts. The diameter is 7 1/4" with a base diameter of 3 1/4". The height is 3" with a depth of 1 3/4 " and the volume measures at 2 cups to the brim. Used my usual walnut oil to seal the wood and buffed it with that tripoli stuff. The finishing was done with lemon oil wax with 3 coats rubbed in and then buffed again with just a buffer pad.

Attachments

• BLCW111.JPG
    BLCW111.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 7
  • BLCW111A.JPG
    BLCW111A.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 7
  • BLCW111B.JPG
    BLCW111B.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 6
  • BLCW111C.JPG
    BLCW111C.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 7
  • BLCW111D.JPG
    BLCW111D.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 8
  • BLCW111E.JPG
    BLCW111E.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 8
  • BLCW111F.JPG
    BLCW111F.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 7
  • BLCW111G.JPG
    BLCW111G.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 7
Looks great! thanks for showing it. From what I've read cottonwood is also used for carving. Curiously enough I I google "cottonwood" to find the spanish translation it says "álamo" but if I do it the other way around it translates a "poplar" (also called Tulipier here). I've done some carvings in poplar, but its greenish stripes disturb the perception of shapes IMHO.

Thanks all. Cottonwood is definitely related to poplar. When settlers in the US were heading west, they always used cottonwoods as a means to know where water was. They might have do dig a little but it would be there. They also used the wood to make bowls and other handy utensils.