craftsman lathe 351.217150 new drive belt is slipping

jim waters

I recently bought a used craftsman lathe, and was assured it work very well, just needed a drive belt. I bought one from a belt store, and it seemed to go on quite easy. Too easy. There seems to be a lot of play, like it needs a tensioner or something. There is a zipping sound when I start it. Then if I put any load on the turning wood, it completely stalls the wood, and motor keeps turning, along with the zipping sound of the toothed belt slipping.
Any suggestions? besides getting another lathe. That has already crossed my mind as I have been reading some older posts.

I recently bought a used craftsman lathe, and was assured it work very well, just needed a drive belt. I bought one from a belt store, and it seemed to go on quite easy. Too easy. There seems to be a lot of play, like it needs a tensioner or something. There is a zipping sound when I start it. Then if I put any load on the turning wood, it completely stalls the wood, and motor keeps turning, along with the zipping sound of the toothed belt slipping.
Any suggestions? besides getting another lathe. That has already crossed my mind as I have been reading some older posts.
Jim, It would be helpful to know what model lathe it is. Craftsman made many different models over the years. Photos are very helpful as well. There is usually a way to add tension to the belt.

good older thread on that lathe here with a couple nice links to some help on belt slipping and replacement. I'm betting there is something going on with the reeves drive not engaging fully/properly based entirely on my read of that thread :)

Craftsman Model 351.217150
the variable speed pulley seems to be working, the speed changes.

Attachments

• B3A66006-09D2-4A0F-9207-8AA9CE696DA2.jpeg
    B3A66006-09D2-4A0F-9207-8AA9CE696DA2.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 4
good older thread on that lathe here with a couple nice links to some help on belt slipping and replacement. I'm betting there is something going on with the reeves drive not engaging fully/properly based entirely on my read of that thread :)

Ryan, the toothed belt that Jim mentioned connects the motor shaft to the Reeves drive. It's not the belt in the Reeves drive itself.

@jim waters , I had one of those lathes in the early 2000s and replaced the drive belt a time or two. As I recall, the belt was a small little thing, maybe 2 1/2" in diameter and maybe an inch wide. I don't remember there being a tensioner, but I do recall that it was a bear to get the belt installed. (I don't remember if it was tight, or just hard to get to.) Can you post a photo of the belt next to a ruler or other size reference?

Ryan, the toothed belt that Jim mentioned connects the motor shaft to the Reeves drive. It's not the belt in the Reeves drive itself.

@jim waters , I had one of those lathes in the early 2000s and replaced the drive belt a time or two. As I recall, the belt was a small little thing, maybe 2 1/2" in diameter and maybe an inch wide. I don't remember there being a tensioner, but I do recall that it was a bear to get the belt installed. (I don't remember if it was tight, or just hard to get to.) Can you post a photo of the belt next to a ruler or other size reference?
yes, i had to disassemble quite a bit to install belt. it is small like you said. it is toothed. I will post pic when I remove it. I've ordered a new belt.

Ah, that photo brings back memories. I turned some pretty cool stuff on mine. Two great moments in my woodturning journey were the day I bought my Craftsman lathe...and the day I sold it to buy a bigger and better one. :)

To paraphrase Vaughn, Two great moments in my woodturning journey were the day I bought my Craftsman lathe...and the day I shot it and bought a smaller and better one (my jet mini lathe). When mine ran new, it was fantastic, once it started giving me troubles, it was an object of frustration. I bought a box of 12 gauge slugs and took the headstock to my gun range and gleaned satisfaction before hauling it to the junkyard. I would not give it to my worst enemy. I only regret shooting it because it would have made a good mailbox post.
I don't mean to sound mean, but seriously, spend your time and get a lathe without that Reeves drive.

Last edited:
photo old old and new belts, measurement of belt, 207mm by 20mm wide, and photo of pulleys.

new belt is a Craftsman belt with same part number, but yet it is way too loose. When installed, I can push in all the way to touch pulleys.

any helpful suggestions to fix it?

E97D21AA-1716-4239-8DAB-A762917D751D.jpeg2E53731E-058B-4277-A205-85C9359B5C69.jpeg7169FB93-EAF5-43F7-B903-43CD64283D01.jpeg

It looks to me that there should be a tensioner that rides on the back of the belt It would be adjustable by screwing it in or out of the threaded thing I have drawn an arrow to or maybe it is spring loaded and the thing I am pointing to is what hold it in place. I have never seen you lathe so I am just guessing.

Tensioner.jpg

I assume you've found this doc on tightening the belt?

Found from:

from http://aroundthewoods.com/lathemaintenance.html

I found one guy who replaced it and I was trying to see if he'd take a picture of the dang belt but NOOOOOO so I couldn't tell if it was the same belt or if it's some odd one-off.. Maybe someone with sharper eyes can tell as he waves the camera by it out of focus.

Man looks like a real pain to get at!

I assume you've found this doc on tightening the belt?

Found from:

from http://aroundthewoods.com/lathemaintenance.html

I found one guy who replaced it and I was trying to see if he'd take a picture of the dang belt but NOOOOOO so I couldn't tell if it was the same belt or if it's some odd one-off.. Maybe someone with sharper eyes can tell as he waves the camera by it out of focus.

Man looks like a real pain to get at!
the directions I found did not have the part about the motor pivot.
thanks, I will try this tomorrow!

Maybe dab a little locktite orange into those washers to keep them from wiggling around to much (orange, holds like red but releases like blue - it's what I use for pellet gun screws which otherwise loosen up real annoying like)?