Craftsman Versastack toolboxes

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I've been looking at some of the modular tool boxes for a while as most of my house work tools are living in tool bags. The bags hold a lot, but quickly get full of duplicate tools and things fall out of their place between jobs. I also find myself having to dig through a bunch of tools that are unrelated to the job at hand.

So the craftsman versastack came up at 20% off, so I picked up this set for about $80 at Menards and the tool tote part at Lowes for $16. Each box can snap to the one above and I can grab the ones I want for the job at hand to put on the cart. Each of the fronts have a label holder that can be changed to identify the tools you are picking up at a glance.
2020-01-21 18.42.07.jpg 2020-01-21 18.42.15.jpg

Here are all the boxes filled up. I need to add some organizers to the tool tote to hold the screwdrivers and pliers, the one that is with it isn't quite enough, but surprised how much the two bags it all came out of held, granted neither would zip shut. ;)
2020-01-21 18.40.44.jpg 2020-01-21 18.40.48.jpg

I've already picked up a couple more of the medium sized boxes and another of the small parts organizers, will split up some of my plumbing tools and various other tasks to their own boxes.

According to reviews/youtube videos, these are interchangeable with the Dewalt TStak organizers also, which happen to have a few more variants.

Last edited:
I went with those during a recent move. I got tired of all the random sized tool boxes I had for plumbing, electrical and other non-woodworking tools. Like you, I got them on sale and also added a box or two. They have worked out quite well.

Attachments

• B795B992-F639-4D57-9CA7-3F3803FA5C6A.jpeg
    B795B992-F639-4D57-9CA7-3F3803FA5C6A.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 9
Just a comparison of the dewalt tstak and craftsman boxes
black-yellow-gold-dewalt-small-parts-organizers-dwst17804-64_400_compressed.jpg
076174816587.jpg

black-dewalt-portable-tool-boxes-dwst17807-64_1000.jpg
076174816525.jpg

Interesting. Might have to keep my eyes open for the next sale. Looks really handy.
Might google around, lowes and menards both carry them here, but I think Ace hardwares care them as well.

Home depot carries the Dewalt tstak, but their base is more stand alone, also has a 4 wheel dolly to use instead off/addition to.

I think some of these manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot by creating proprietary systems that are not backwards, or even laterally compatible to other products in their line. I looked at the Milwaukee system over the Christmas holiday when it was on sale. Milwaukee parts bins don't seem compatible with the new system. It has it's own special bins.

At the same time, I was looking for parts bins because my hardware collection had outgrown the old stack-able, clear top black and yellow bins I used to buy at Lowe's that had individually removable little boxes inside. Looks like that company, ZAG, has been purchased by Stanley, or maybe Stack-On. Those three kind of bins seemed to play nicely together, meaning one will sit/set nicely on the other, but the shallow ZAG bins that I kept all my small quantities of specialty hardware are not part of the newer Stanley or Stack-On lines that I can tell. The new DeWalt bins set on the Milwaukee bins, but the Milwaukee won't set on the DeWalts, because the bottom configuration is different. These proprietary systems drive me nuts!

These proprietary systems drive me nuts!
I completely agree, but also planning to customize/make some organizers to adapt them to my needs, thanks to mr 3d printer.

I had searched for versastack on thingivere, but only had a couple of hits, but turns out there were a few more for the tstak versions... https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=tstak