Cremation Urns

Great project ... sad thoughts.
Sad and good. The urn with the names carved into the tree trunk is for SILs father who died in December and, eventually for his mother many years from now. The other one is for his grandparents who died many years ago. SILs mother has their ashes still in the cardboard boxes from when they were cremated. Now, they will finally have a home!

I bought the books and information on boxes from Mike Stafford not knowing I would be needing to make an urn for my dad so soon. I haven't committed the money for some tooling and I haven't settled in and really decided on a design as I am busy with spring work here on the farm and online lessons for my students. Those are beautiful. Making me do some deeper thinking.

... not knowing I would be needing to make an urn for my dad so soon. ... haven't settled in and really decided on a design ...
I researched cremation urns several years ago and saw that they can be virtually anything you can dream up. When a neighbor died at age 96, I offered to build an urn that would hold his remains as well as his wife's when she dies. I remembered Rennie's design and got his permission to build it. Here's his design:
Urn_Cremation_00.jpg

My SIL sent links to two urns he saw online, one of which is an 8-sided box. I tweaked the 8-sided unit a bit and sized it for two sets of cremains (400ci).

General sizing guideline is 1 cubic inch per pound of body weight.