Custom Order Approved by Customer

Dave Hoskins

Finished this beast awhile ago, except for a little extra sanding and more walnut oil. She approved the photos so all is well. It averages 15 1/2" in diameter, 3 1/2" high, and 2 1/2" deep. Has a ringed base for stability. Keep in mind this whole thing was done with speeds of 300 rpm and below as it never really balanced out due to the hollow spots on some of the edge. All it has is walnut oil and that is all she wants. So, what can i say? Another happy camper, I do believe.

Attachments

• SDP65.JPG
    SDP65.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 25
  • SDP65A.JPG
    SDP65A.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 26
  • SDP65B.JPG
    SDP65B.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 25
  • SDP65C.JPG
    SDP65C.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 23
  • SDP65D.JPG
    SDP65D.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 21
  • SDP65E.JPG
    SDP65E.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 22
Thanks, fellers! Yeah, it's a bit bulky but it's what she wanted, so that's what she got. Me aims to please. But, honestly I hope I never get another order for one like that. Seems like it took forever only being able to spin it so slow. But, done is done and it ships out Thursday morning. When she approved it the temp was already 101 with about 40% humidity and only the roadrunners were showing themselves. :rofl:

Thanks, fellers! Yeah, it's a bit bulky but it's what she wanted, so that's what she got. Me aims to please. But, honestly I hope I never get another order for one like that. Seems like it took forever only being able to spin it so slow. But, done is done and it ships out Thursday morning. When she approved it the temp was already 101 with about 40% humidity and only the roadrunners were showing themselves. :rofl:
Major reason I turn down most "custom" orders..... what I see in a piece of wood may not be what you see. I just make what I want and if you like and want to buy, works out great for both of us.
I had a piece of oak once that I turned a bowl from... it was ugly, bulky, very thick walled, had a couple of holes that I was afraid would break and destroy the whole thing.... was early in my turning career.... almost threw it away, but showed it at a show anyway.... some guy picked it up, looked it over, put it back and walked away... figured it was a no-go.... 15 minutes later he came charging back and grabbed it again and told me it just kept calling to him... he paid $70 for a piece I was ready to toss..... you never know someone else's tastes.
Good on you for perserverring. I couldn't do one that size - my lathe is only a 14" throw and slowest speed is about 450 rpm.

I only take a custom order if it is something I feel I can sell if they don't take it. I knew a couple of my off line customers would jump on this if she didn't take it. So at least I wouldn't be stuck with it. I turn down more requests than I take, for sure.