Cutting board

#1 wife FINALLY told me that there was something she wanted... a cutting board (even though some years ago she told me she did NOT want a wooden cutting board.... go figure).. Anyway, I running with it for now.

Presently, I have a supply of Walnut, Ash, a little bit of Cherry, and Mesquite and Pistachio. I have some other stuff but I already know it's not cutting board material (cedar, etc..).

Is there any of the above that you guys would not use on a cutting board? Mesquite is hard enough so I thought I'd use it and Walnut for sure. I've seen some cherry used on the You Tubes, but not Ash. The Pistachio is hard too but I'm not sure if it plays well with others. I also have still not decided whether to mix the woods or go with one kind only.

I'm not going to buy any wood.

Alan

Out of the ones you've listed, cherry is my favorite. I also think the pistachio would work well. Mesquite and walnut should be workable as long as the grain is tight on the wood you have. Personally I'd stay away from the ash. I think it's a bit too open-grained (and porous) for a cutting board. I've made a lot of cutting boards with a primary wood (usually maple) and thin accent stripes of contrasting woods. Here are a few examples...

Circus Stripes1T 500.jpg Bi-Color Maple 8 600.jpg Jarrah and Cherry Pair 600.jpg Two-Tone Maple 3a 600.jpg Three Together2 500.jpg

Last edited:
I would also not use the ash, unless it was a particularly close grained piece. I've used walnut, birch, maple, purple heart, and cherry with good success.

I cut one inch strips of Walnut, and Cherry and put two strips of mesquite on the sides from 3/4" boards (after planing). She said she wanted it 3/4" thick.... we'll see how that works. After sanding It should be about that. I glued it up this morning and won't be able to touch it again until Saturday.

Alan

Sanded it to 320 grit. I suppose I could have done a better job of matching the wood. I did mesquite on the outside then alternated Walnut and Cherry. Of course somebody popped into the shop unannounced and got their surprise. I thought about making a juice groove but initial practice runs with the router convinced me that I need more practice. So, no groove. Still got a few things to do before it's ready for finishing. I was thinking about a couple - three coats of straight mineral oil and then topped off with mineral oil/ beeswax mix.

Alan

JNwYTTk.jpg

with a damp rag
D26bvHF.jpg