Cutting Boards

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Just finished a couple cutting boards. Walnut, Cherry, and Maple.
According to my wife, this one is a pattern called "Attic Window."
DSCN1414 (Custom).JPG

This is one I made several years ago, but it needed a re-oiling. As you can see, the cherry has aged well in this one.
DSCN1417 (Custom).JPG

The finish on both of them is a concoction I make from 4 parts drugstore mineral oil; one part beeswax; and ¼ part carnauba wax, heated and blended (I use a small crock pot). I apply it liberally, let it sit overnight, then scrape off the excess (saving it for future use) then rub vigorously with a coarse cloth. Unless mistreated, the finish should last several years before needing reapplied.

I also tried a new (to me) glue to make the board. After seeing a comment about it from (I think) Chas, I bought a tub of Cascamite powdered resin glue. It was shipped from England, BTW. It mixes with water and has about an hour of open time at 70°F. The best characteristics are that it dries clear, and doesn't creep like PVA glues. The long open time sure helps with complicated assemblies, too.

Last edited:
Yeah I like the attic pattern. I ust use straight mineral oil on my boards about 3 applications. I have used the bees wax mixture and it doesn't really show any difference in wear or water proofing.
David

Great looking boards Jim! Did your wife baptise the pattern herself, or is it a common quilting pattern applied to cutting board. ?
Actually, Toni, I saw the pattern on a quilt a friend of hers made, took a picture of it, and worked from there to design the board and figure out how to 'batch' make the individual blocks.

I forgot to mention earlier that I tried a new (to me) glue to make the board. After seeing a comment about it from (I think) Chas, I bought a tub of Cascamite powdered resin glue. It was shipped from England, BTW. It mixes with water and has about an hour of open time at 70°F. The best characteristics are that it dries clear, and doesn't creep like PVA glues. The long open time sure helps with complicated assemblies, too.

I keep coming back and looking at the Attic Window board, Jim. It's simply awesome, and awesomely simple at the same time. :thumb:

I love both.... I have also never made a cutting board. Probably never well... My wife like the plastic like sheet things...
I've made a boatload of wood cutting boards, but my go-to in the kitchen is a plastic one. (It's not one of the sheet ones...it's about 1/2" thick.)

I've made a boatload of wood cutting boards, but my go-to in the kitchen is a plastic one. (It's not one of the sheet ones...it's about 1/2" thick.)
We have a plastic one on the countertop. These wood ones live on the dining room table, and see the occasional hot casserole dish or other serving dishes. They'll likely never see or feel a knife blade.