Back was starting to hurt from bending over laying out tile, so went up and put some real hurt on it moving cabinets around. Only killed about 25 brown recluse spiders hiding behind the old workbench cabinet. Guess it is time to set off some bug bombs in the shop again, I was hoping they froze this past winter. They tend to walk up on their legs and not drag their bodies like most spiders, so normal spraying doesn't seem to take care of them. Glue traps and bombing seem to be the only good method, unfortunately the bombing makes a mess of things.
Anyway, the before and after pics...
Thinking about doing some large pull-out drawers in the flanking cabinets since they are about 30" deep, will be storing mostly cutting tools in this area. I will be taking a queue from Rennie on top for adding some storage/drawers with my miter saw in the middle to share the fence with my RAS.
More re-organizing/shuffling of cabinets and tools around. I'm almost where I have some space in the shop again. Today I set some cabinets for the lathe and it's tools to be stored in. I'll be replacing the particle board top it's mounted and adding a short wall behind the cabinets to help keep the chips contained. I have a 8' section of taller 3 drawer cabinets that will go behind these cabinets facing the other way for my sharpening and a few other hand tools to be stored in. My dad's table saw will be on the left side, which is going to be dedicated for box joints using the ibox jig I have. My bandsaw and some other storage will go opposite the lathe cabinets facing them, but have more shuffling to do before I can set those.
I'm still shuffling stuff around in the shop and trying to figure out a good use of some of these cabinets.
One challenge I have is the lack of wall space. The center area of my shop is between my office and my wood racks. Its a large open space about 16' wide, so I've decided to create a couple of isles with tools setup on each side using some of the cabinets back to back.
I've setup 3 sets of taller three drawer lateral file cabinets back to back with my lathe and my dad's table saw (which is dedicated to the ibox jig). Those were spanning over a non-functioning floor drain, which left the floor quite un-level. So much so that the feet weren't adjusting out far enough, so I decided to build a riser from 2 x 6 material and span the floor drain. I added a piece of plywood across the back of the lathe cabinets, which prevents chips from getting between the cabinets, but also rises just above the taller cabinets, allowing for a power strip to be mounted for use with some of my sharpening tools and probably some chargers.
There will be a lower set of two drawer cabinets opposite the lathe and dad's table saw, which measure out to be about 9' - 10' long which will host my oscillating sander and a few other table top tools. I'll need to do some electrical drops to both isles at some point too.
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to be happy with this for a while.
Yes, I do plan on adding kick boards and trying to keep some of the varmints from moving in, as well as, keeping the dust out from under them.
I got the other line of bases in place, still need to level them. They seem a few inches low, so may end up doing another 2 x 6 frame and setting them on top. Also considering adding some plywood on the back to create a wall between these and the wood storage behind them.
Eventually I want to build out another room for finishing and winter time use in this area, but these will probably all move inside that room when I get to that project.
I started clearing off some of the junk I had laying around on top. Also while at HF I picked up some of their floor mats and plan to cover most of the standing areas with them. They aren't the best quality, but do make a difference and others I've had have held up for a very long time.