Dave's been showing off his hackbeerry bowls -- here's mine

Chuck Ellis

These are from a tree I got several years ago and cut blanks from.. the wood has been in my shop for a 3 or 4 years...
This first one is only 5 1/2" diameter by 2 inches high at the rim... I don't measure volume, so no idea what it will hold -- not big enough for a bowl of Blue Bell though...
103755 (1).jpg103755 (2).jpg103755 (3).jpg103755 (4).jpg103755 (5).jpg103755 (6).jpg103755 (7).jpg103755 (8).jpg

Your hackberry seems to be a bit darker than mine. Any idea if yours is the Northern Hackberry species? Just wondering if that might be it. Either way, it's a good looking bowl. Like Ted said, like that hackberry.

Your hackberry seems to be a bit darker than mine. Any idea if yours is the Northern Hackberry species? Just wondering if that might be it. Either way, it's a good looking bowl. Like Ted said, like that hackberry.

I don't know what variety of species this is, growing in TN it may well be a northern species... when it's fairly green still, it's a lot whiter and with less lines and marks in it... this was standing dead for a while before a wind storm knocked it over on my pastor's farm up near Maryville... it was also covered in poison ivy, but seems to not effect me now after 3 or 4 years... it does get a variety of patterns in the spalting.

Interesting thing at the market, customers all love the wood, but invariable tell me they've never heard of a Hackberry tree.

Honestly, I don't think I ever heard of hackberry until about 15 years ago. I get a lot of my hackberry after heavy wind storms. Large hackberry's just can't hold up to high winds down here. Blows them over. Smart folks don't have them anywhere near houses or barns.

Chuck, I forgot to mention this. The reason I measure the volume of a bowl and such is to give the customer another perspective of the size. A lot of understand what the general measurements are, but not in respect as to what it will hold. That what it will hold means more to a lot of them that a diameter or height. Or, that is what was explained to me by several customers. Makes sense to me and that's why I do it.