Deck posts outside of framing timber screw VS Dtt2 tension tie

alia rogahn

Where both are code compliant, do you deck builders have a preference? Screws always seem a bit faster, you'd think the tension tie is stronger, but with blocking and screws, I don't think so. thoughts?

Good question.

I think it might come down to how much shrinkage the wood ends up having and whether or not there is cracking/other localized failure over time. The tension tie has more flex and connection points to accommodate that so my tentative guess would be to give it a bit of a nod for longevity. You're also less likely to hit a single weak spot or future crack with more fastening points with the tension tie as you'd generally have a lot more fasteners per board so you're spreading the "risk profile" out a bit.. Having said that I've used timberlok screws for some (non code requirement since it was a long time ago) projects that have had really really good longevity and the framing timber screws have similar characteristics.

Are you taking the blocking all the way to the base? That might change the equation some as well...