design for a wine caddy

Dan Noren

Staff member
with lots of time on my hands now, i got hit with an idea for a wine caddy. yesterday, the wife :blah: and i went adventure shopping for this project. all over the place we went, post office for her, then off to a liquor store, for a typical bottle of inexpensive (since neither of us drink) wine. then off to the dollar tree, looking for glasses (got 12 of them for a good price at bed, bath, and beyond). after that, we scooted over to home depot for a few items. topped off with gas at costco (2.37/gal), and had a very late lunch at olive garden. the day before, i headed over to harbor freight, picked up a small pancake compressor for $29, and a gravity fed spray gun for $24. now i only have one extra air hose left. i figured that it would be nice to have a set up here, as well in the shop (and i won't have to carry the compressor from point a to point b). got home, took a nap, worked on finishing the chair, and started working on this design (i knew we'd get back to this), and was up until the wee hours of the morning working on it. will have a laser engraved design on the long side.
wine caddy.JPG

Looks nice Dan. If there is room for a bottle opener, it would make a nice complete set. There is always the screw top too, but that can be hit and miss depending on who buys the wine.

Make sure there's enough clearance between the bottle and the handle to get it out easily.. other than that I have nothing :)

It does look like a nice set.

A turned bottle opener would, of course, definitely be a nice addition.

Looks good.if you planned right, and I assume you did, I see one dado set up with a spacer and only one set up for the cross grain notches. One set up for the drill press and a template to use with a pattern bit on the router table. One suggestion, try using 5/8” or even 1/2” stock. This will give it a more custom look IMHO. To my eye something like this, made from 3/4” stock can look amateur as the visual weight far exceeds what the mind feels is sufficient for the task.

Looks good from here, you could also put the pieces that hold the handle on the sides rather than in the center, that would give extra protection to the bottles in case of an unadverted bump into something.

trust me, the wine bottle, and the glasses will be well protected. after doing a bit of looking around, i'm going to stick with the design. almost everything i had seen (except for the ones that try to look like old fruit case knockoffs) were the same thickness. i have seen some quite tacky (personalized with your name on high quality burlap), and joinery is where the parts are nailed together. one common thing that i had seen, is that the glasses are not included, and another is that people have wine glasses that won't fit the carrier. with mine, like the candle holders, the glasses will be included. i will be making an mdf prototype just to be on the safe side, and take it from there. there will be a few dadoes on this one, not as bad as the plant stand from a few years ago.
wine caddy exploded.JPG

with the parts for the m&m machines finished, time to hit this one again. made a new sled to cut all of the notches, and dadoes. with that done, it was on to the bottoms, sides, and inner sides. when i got home, did a test fit of the whole thing, a few things need to be finessed, but, what the heck, it still look ok. all that is left now, is to cut the long curves on the band saw, and drill the holes for the rope handle.
IMG_20210513_125453537_HDR.jpgIMG_20210513_125838991_HDR.jpgIMG_20210513_131429131_HDR.jpgIMG_20210513_141028606.jpgIMG_20210513_133813269.jpgIMG_20210513_165921432_HDR.jpgIMG_20210513_182145735.jpg