Dewalt 735

I have a 13 Ridgid planer. I do exactly what Tom says. I already have the in/out feed tables adjust a bit high, but on long boards I set up a roller stand on the in and out and set them a bit higher then the planer tables. ..... zero snipe if I do this. ..... a little snip if I just use the tables .

What Rennie said angle feed and raise the end. Also make sure inand outfeed tables are in lin. On a side not my 735 was giving my problems with height adjusment frozen. ( previous post) Had a idea to replace it but after a little cussing and dixcussing I found problem and fixed. The gear on one of the raising shaft was stuck. freed up and works fine now.
Shucks now I don't get a new planner.
David

I have an old delta that will snipe bad if I don’t lift the boards at the beginning and end.

I built a longer infeed/outfeed table that seemed to help with it. It was basically an 8’ long melamine shelf with risers attached. I just raised the head and slid the shelf and risers through, with the whole assembly up on my work bench. I could shim the far ends slightly if needed to help with snipe. The shelf was much slicker than the planer bed, so boards seemed to feed easier. It also allowed me to shim warped stock from the bottom to help flatten it

Edit: tThe auxiliary bed…
Thread 'Auxiliary Planer Bed'
https://familywoodworking.org/forums/index.php?threads/auxiliary-planer-bed.34218/

Last edited:
thanks all...I will try all these
re; raising the extension tables..how much?
When I did this I raised them so that when a straight edge was placed through the planer and resting on both outer table edges the gap at the platen was about the thickness of a dime.

Do you have the metal in and out feed tables? They make a difference, and they are adjustable. I also have my 735 mounted on a miter saw/planer stand that has additional in and out feed rollers that I can extend out further to better support longer boards. My stand is a Delta, but an improved model is available from DeWalt. This stand, when folded, wheels around like a hand truck and will store on it's end in your shop with the planer attached to it. The two large diameter wheels make it easy to go over bumps and raised door thresholds, down ramps too. When needed, I roll it and the planer outside in my driveway to do planning (shop is too small). Lifting into position is assisted with built-in gas springs. Lifting slightly and then releasing a latch then allows folding, again with gas spring assist to lighten the load, and I pick up the handle end and wheel it back into the shop where it again sits on it's end in the corner of the shop until needed again. At 81, and with metal knees and heart problems, I can still easily move and set up my 735 this way, but I can no longer lift it by itself off of a workbench without help. 95 lbs is beyond my abilities now.

The significant difference between this stand and my Delta is the single post under each outfeed roller. My Delta version has 2 smaller posts, under each roller and adjusting the roller height causes racking much like pulling an unguided drawer in and out. The single larger post of the DeWalt works better, and I would replace what I have with the DeWalt if the cost wasn't so high. For me, I'll likely continue using what I have and fussing with the jamming roller height adjustment. The only other significant difference between them is the color. Otherwise, they are identical.

With the metal in and out feed tables, plus the in and out feed rollers of the stand adjusted properly, my DeWalt 735 planer snipe is so little that I can see a faint line on the work where snipe would be, but a couple of swipes of 100 grit sand paper make it go away. It's only a few thousandths difference.

I did need to make an adapter, a piece of 3/4" cabinet birch ply with mounting holes for the planer, then a second set of mounting holes to attach this adapter to the mounting rail spacing on the stand. It was easy to make and the planer has remained attached to the stand via this adapter since I put them together. You will likely need to do this for this DeWalt stand too, since the rails are positioned more for mounting miter saws and not the 735 planer, which is much wider and needs to face sideways to the stand.

Charley