Did i NEEEEED another drill press?

Paul Hubbman

This found its way into the back of my truck on friday. I'm pleased as punch with the Walker Turner DP that i've been using for the past 9 years, but couldn't let this one go. My wife dutifully shook her head and rolled her eyes, then accepted the fate of being wed to an addict.
It's a South Bend (known for metal lathes) 14" floor model. I think it's from sometime near the 50's and looks like it's seen light use. Someone slimed it with mint green at some point, but there's no rust to speak of, everything that should be loose is loose. Everything that should be tight is tight, and there are no missing or broken pieces.
I dragged it down the steps, plugged it in, and it fired up nice and smoothly. There's a GE 1/3 hp motor, and the belt loosening / motor mount setup is a thing of simplistic beauty.
I don't know when exactly i'll get to the rebuild - before spring i'm sure. There are a few things in front of it. If the bearings check out, it's actually in plug n play condition.
There are already 2 drill presses in the shop - my WT 900 series, and a C-man 9" on the kids' bench. My thinking is to dedicate the WT to woodworking, puting a large table and fence on it. The South Bend would then be for everything else.
Is my wife right? Am i a bit nuts? Asking this crowd, i already know you'll all back me up here. It's just that this goes a bit against my grain, keeping two identical machines when i could manage just fine with the one i've got.
I'll get better pics up at some point.
paulh

Attachments

• 3k13oe3p55Qe5S35R598q9e2c986a81c21e5d.jpg
    3k13oe3p55Qe5S35R598q9e2c986a81c21e5d.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 3m03od3pe5Ob5Pa5R598qe246ab78479e1daf.jpg
    3m03od3pe5Ob5Pa5R598qe246ab78479e1daf.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 82
  • 3mc3o73p75O35Re5Se98q2f6ea90416c31473.jpg
    3mc3o73p75O35Re5Se98q2f6ea90416c31473.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 101
Well Paul, you probably didn't need another DP, but if you have room for it why not! Having one dedicated to wood working and the new (old) one for metal work and the like will be great. :thumb:

My brother would say only 3? He has 6 in his shop Paul :p He owns and operates a 1 man weaving loom business here in Michigan and each one is set up for a particular purpose for time savings. So are you a bit nuts:huh: Naw just a wood worker:D

That reminds me of shop class in Grade school... mostly cause of the industrial pea-green paint. I'm betting it was in some sort of school and/or military shop at one point and got a coat of 'the color' as a matter of course.

Nice plan, re the dedicated metal and wood presses.

Many times I've wished for two, one for Woodworking and one for the metal stuff. It seems that almost immediately after cleaning mine up after doing some metal work so I can do some woodwork on it, I suddenly remember one more thing I need to do in metal first.:doh::doh::doh:

Don't worry, just ENJOY.:thumb:

Many times I've wished for two, one for Woodworking and one for the metal stuff. It seems that almost immediately after cleaning mine up after doing some metal work so I can do some woodwork on it, I suddenly remember one more thing I need to do in metal first.:doh::doh::doh:

Don't worry, just ENJOY.:thumb:

That's what I have. An older Powermatic used mainly for metal, and a nearly new Shop Fox radial that only sees wood. It's a good combination.

OK,
so my logic - good or not - is shared by others. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll share pics when i get into the resto. right now, i'm mulling over paint options.
Light machine gray and dark red???
paulh

Pual as a freind I will help you out. You can store it at my place till you need it. Then you can come over and use it. Oh wait never mind I am shopless at this point, so I guess you should keep it.:thumb:

Al - you're shopless?!?!? That's no fun. Are you in-between places? Do you still have your tools/machines?
Not that it's all bad. I haven't had any time in my shop in months. Every time i walk through the basement, my machines call my name and taunt me.
By the way, thanks for the magnanimous offer. Hopefully, i can repay the sentiment one of these days.
paulh

Pual as a freind I will help you out. You can store it at my place till you need it. Then you can come over and use it. Oh wait never mind I am shopless at this point, so I guess you should keep it.:thumb:

I have two drill presses but certainly wish I had more. The reasoning is sound. I have a Canedy-Otto drill press from 1909, and while its like yours...plug and play, its not very pretty, but it can take up to a 1" bit so its reserved only for big stuff that needs slow speed and gobs of torque.

My Central Machinery Drill press is my go-to drill press for most stuff, and while mediocre in quality...it has served me well for steel and wood alike.

But in the perfect world I would like to dedicate that to steel only drilling, and now that I have gotten into tool making, well I drill a lot of steel and wood on the same project. So Yes I would like a third dedicated only for wood, and then finally a forth that would use my hollow chisel mortiser attachment. I wanted one forever, and finally got one as a Birthday present, but the set up time is so arduous that I never use it. I do like hand-chiseling my MT joints, but when you have a dozen or so to do...well it gets old. So yes I think 4 DP's would be right.

As for your drill press Paul, nice find and yes YOU SUCK! :)

And finally, best wishes on the bank and your new spread Al.