Dirty Oily Wood - How to clean

Pete Simmons

Oil as in 100 year old used motor oil -

Just got an UZI wood stock that looks to be preserved 50+ years ago by the used motor oil method then roll it in sand then cover in liquid tar.

Yes it really is that bad. I think it may have been one left behind in the burning oil fields of Iraq during Desert Storm.

I hit it with brake cleaner then hot soap and water starting to be able to tell it is wood. It looks like if you could squeeze it like a sponge oil would flow out.

I leave it in the sun and wipe the new oil that comes to the surface off every once in a while.

Any ideas how to clean this up. I want to eventually sand it and put a quick clear coat on it. Not looking to make it a show piece. Just something that will not drip to much oil on you if you grip it tight.

Have to take a break right now to change the oil in my car with what I have recovered from the stock.

Maybe coat it with powdered whiting or diatomaceous earth when you put it in the sun. The whiting/earth will absorb the oil as it comes out. It'll likely require many repetitions to get most of the oil out. You'll never get it all, though.

I used whiting (chalk) mixed with acetone on a stock refinish I did a few years back. Brush it all on and put it in a black plastic bag or sit in the sun to cook. The whiting soaks up the oil. Just brushed off the previous coat and repeat until the oil stops wicking out.

I am in Florida. Lotza hot sunshine today. I placed the stock in the hot sun and you can see the oil come out.
Burried it in Cat Litter. Will let it sit (in sun when possible) for a few days see how it goes.

This is for a special custom inlayed stock. This is going on a big $$$ Class III weapon. Not a situation to go cheap on.
Owners initials on the other side. Sarco has new wood only for $20. I can use the metal parts from the oil sponge so not a total loss. For $20 it is not worth the hassle. Thanks Darren for the tip.

Attachments

• uzistocks.JPG
    uzistocks.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited: