DJ King Bubba

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
Well, Not sure what happened, but a couple of months ago my neighbor asked me if I would DJ a sock hop at her events center. We've boarded our dogs with her for years, and well I couldn't say no. I guess It's because I post all these pictures of my 'record parties' I have on Thursday and Friday nights.

So at any rate, I did get an inexpensive DJ mixer (Might have bought another turntable too. But I already had the pa speakers and cables and stuff, so not a huge investment. Already had the records. Went through and selected a couple of boxes of 45's and a few 12" lps to take.

Loaded up my shop laptop with my entire mp3 collection, loaded up a free DJ app, MIXXX, and set about learning how to work that with the records. I figure I'll play some stuff from the laptop, a bunch off the vinyl and have a good time.

Julie has a food truck showing up and has been advertising on next door and putting up signs around the valley. Everybody in the valley loves Julie, so I expect there will be a bit of a crowd on Friday night.

This is probably a bit outside my comfort zone, but so was joining a band and playing in front of people which I did last year.

Wish me luck!

dj1.jpg

dj2.jpg
dj3.jpg

Good for you. Looks like a nightmare to me!
:rofl: I was actually kind of thinking the same thing.

Not gonna lie, took some practicing to get it. Going to have to do some more practicing this week to make sure I've got it down.

Mostly what I've been working on is organizing the records and digital files to make them easy to find. Records sorted by genre,different playlists in the digital realm.

You're gonna kill it, KB! Looks like a great setup, and you still have room for one more input device if someone shows up with a phone or tablet that has must-hear tunes on it.

All that's missing now is the flat-billed cap (optionally worn sideways or backward) and some high-top sneakers. :D

giphy.gif

I doubt I'll have that exciting of a stage presence. I'll pretty much be standing there, looking at a computer, maybe cueing up a record every 3 minutes or so.