Do No Know Where to Put This question

To return to the original question, my wife is a quilter and buys tons of paperback books that will not lie flat so she can look at the pattern when she's piecing. So, I've rebound dozens using binding combs and a binding comb machine. I cut the binding off with a razor knife. Works easily and leaves a clean edge that at table saw or band saw might not.

Well I was thinking table say would give a cleaner cut than a band saw and easier to cut a straight line. but now I am thinking may be just a box cutter (razor knife) would be the least amount of trouble. It is only an eighty page book.. Once I get the patterns scanned to the computer, I can discard the book.

Thanks for you inputs. Sorry I let the grouchy old man in. Got to work on that.

A bandsaw also works well to silence a cell phone. :D
A hammer would spare you some electricity, and a saw blade as well, despite the drifting of the thread, we could start a new one about ways of silencing a cell phone. :ROFLMAO:
regarding the book, I’d go for the solution that Ryan suggested, rather than the bandsaw one as it will leave a ragged edge on the pages.

I hope this was worth the effort, since most book photos, in fact the whole book are printed on offset presses. This means that the images, and even the text are actually fine printed dots of 4 colors in a kind-of diamond pattern, repeated over and over with slight variations in the amounts of ink included in each dot group. Your eye blends these dots to make the colored image. Attempting to scan and then enlarge the scanned image becomes a disaster, in that each dot group becomes larger and the eyes don't see the group color, but many larger dots of color. The only good way to enlarge these emblems iis likely going to require starting with the original photographic image in some form and not an offset press printed image.

Wish I had seen this sooner.

Charley

Yes, but I was trying to avoid the finer technical details for the woodworkers here. Best to concentrate on woodworking than printing and photographic technology.

Charley

I hope this was worth the effort, since most book photos, in fact the whole book are printed on offset presses. This means that the images, and even the text are actually fine printed dots of 4 colors in a kind-of diamond pattern, repeated over and over with slight variations in the amounts of ink included in each dot group. Your eye blends these dots to make the colored image. Attempting to scan and then enlarge the scanned image becomes a disaster, in that each dot group becomes larger and the eyes don't see the group color, but many larger dots of color. The only good way to enlarge these emblems iis likely going to require starting with the original photographic image in some form and not an offset press printed image.

Wish I had seen this sooner.

Charley
It has been I have done it with several pattern books and never had a problem with the patterns. If you can't copy them then the book is of no use. Most are not color patterns, just black, white and gray.