DO NOT use the USPS for packages!

About a month back I ordered a new laptop for my wife... I got notice that it was delivered... couldn't find it anywhere, front porch, back steps, garage... no sign of it, then noticed something at the foot of the driveway that looked strange, walked down there and there lay the laptop in the mud at the bottom of the drive way... I was furious with the Fedex driver.... it was still in it's inner packing, but not the shipping box.... got in and tried to start it, realized the power cord was missing and the battery not charged... none of my power cords would fit and then realized the inner packing - padded plastic envelope was open, so I took a flash light and walked back down the driveway, noticed a cardboard box a little off the driveway next to the tree, on checking it was the box the PC was shpped in and also there lay the power cord.... further examination I realized that the neighbor's dog had found the package where ever it was left and "played" with it, tearing up the cargon, dumping the laptop and cord all over the yard.... Fedex's error was not ringing the doorbell or knocking or something as both Dianne and I were home, but didn't hear his vehicle. Most of the time they will wheel up to my driveway, slam into reverse and spin tires up my driveway, digging holes in the gravel and making a lot of noise. I did register a complaint but haven't heard anything, nor do I expect to.

The Post Office has been real good for me. Shipping and receiving. During the holidays there is going to always be a bit of a delay, but that's to be expected. The shipper I usually have issues with is UPS, the folks in brown. You never know where your shipment is going to be left. No problems with FedEx or DHL.
That's the problem I have with FedEx. UPS is good USPS is awful.

FedEx tried backing down my drive that was lightly snow covered. Slid off the drive, got stuck. Called out another truck, he drove across the yard to pull out the first truck, got stuck. Called out third truck, he decided he couldn't' help. Called out a tow truck. Four hours after first truck got stuck everybody gone. Yard all tore up, second truck drove thru flower bed. Not a peep out of FedEx. I couldn't go out and raise hell because it was a week after my knee surgery. I have no respect or use for FedEx.

I interesting story about FEDEX.... back in the early '90s, I worked for a forwarding company that specialized in shipping hazardous good by air... flammables, explosives, etc.... we often used the Flying Tigers airlines, an exclusively cargo carrier that was started by some of the pilots from the Flying Tigers of WWII China campaign. They had a receiving clerk that was know to be the hardest guy to get hazardous shipments accepted... he was very strict on the packing and paper work.... all the forwarding companies knew that if you got it past "Red" you were good to go on any carrier. He could quote from memory all the regulations in both the airlines tariffs for hazmats and the CFR49 regulations from the government.

Fedex bought the Flying Tiger lines about '90 or '91.... then declared that "Red" wasn't qualified as a hazmat agent. Hazmat service went into the hand basket we speak of using to carry things into Satan's lair.

the bane of my existence these last few weeks, has been ups. ordered up a bunch of wood from a supplier, not all at once mind you. all but one package arrived safe and sound. the last one, was the problem child. even tough they showed it was in minneapolis, with a time, it really was somewhere in illinois. got a hold of ups, didn't know where it was. called the supplier, he turned the crank on ups, and when asked how they could misplace an 8x8x6ft, 70 lb package, ups was, i dunno. supplier sends out a replacement package for the one that went missing. since he sent it, ups said it would be here on the 15th, even got a tracking update that said the same thing. well, friday came, and got 3 tracking emails from ups, without explanation mind you, that it would be here on tuesday the 19th (and i thought, eh?), then, a minute or two later, got the second that said that there was a delay, and no delivery estimate at that time, a minute later, i got a third one, saying it was showing up on the 19th! i called ups, and asked if a flashlight and a hunting dog would help (mind you, this is about the replacement package for the one that went missing), and they said that due to a mixup in sorting, my package went to virginia, instead of minnesota. so, i call the supplier to give them the heads up, and they are contacting ups again. today i got another email, that says that the rescheduled delivery date is the 19th, and, due to operating conditions, your package may be delayed. the latest tracking says delayed, check back tomorrow for an updated delivery date. before they changed it, the one update said it was headed for pennsylvania. is it just me, or is this order snakebit?
i swear this order is snakebit! delay email on friday. checked friday night, twice on saturday, twice on sunday, and this morning. called ups, and got a hold of a supervisor, and found out that yes, my package was missorted, and went to virginia instead of minnesota, and then, instead of shipping to minnesota, it was missorted again, and went to pennsylvania, where, i was told, the package got lost in the system. so basically, the package to replace the package that got lost, has been lost. i called the company again (very good customer service, and after checking the quality of the lumber they sent, i would have no problem recommending them), speaking to the general manger, and we both had a good laugh. he is now having another talk with the ups executive (who will have no 'roid problems in the future, something about red hot rebar), to find out what happened, and why it got lost in pennsylvania, instead of being delivered to minnesota. he said that he will put together a third package to be sent out, and as he has family here, he would have no problem with delivering the package himself (is that customer service or what?). now i am awaiting the post ups conversation email. never had this happen before. the other orders made it, but not this one.

Over the past 10 years I've shipped out over 800 packages via USPS. In all that time only one was lost and it was in route to Canada. Can't say everything arrived as quickly as promised, but they all arrived.

I never remember ever having an issue with the PO. Maybe one or twice a new driver mixed up my mail with a neighbors. No Big deal.
Until this Christmas. We have had 5 or 6 issues with mail. I figure it's postal workers with Covid and the million or so of extra packages and mail.
I think that 90% of the time they are totally efficient. Can't really blame them. Fed Ex has been flawless but UPS has caused me a few headaches in the past.